April 26, 2024, 07:20:31 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Formula for calculating the probability of finding a particle in 1D box.  (Read 3154 times)

Offline mrdoovde1

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
For the second (n = 2) level of a particle in a 1-D box, calculate the probability of finding the particle between x = L/3 and x = 2L/3

Can someone please tell me what formula I have to use for this question as I've searched many places and keep finding different ones.

Thanks

Offline Corribus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +530/-23
  • A lover of spectroscopy and chocolate.
Re: Formula for calculating the probability of finding a particle in 1D box.
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2013, 04:13:47 PM »
There's no formula. You have to understand what you're doing. 

How do you calculate the probability that the electron is in a certain region of space?
What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?  - Richard P. Feynman

Offline mrdoovde1

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2013, 05:23:29 PM »
There's no formula. You have to understand what you're doing. 

How do you calculate the probability that the electron is in a certain region of space?

Wavefunction squared. But I don't see how you can use it to calculate the answer.

Offline Corribus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +530/-23
  • A lover of spectroscopy and chocolate.
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2013, 07:43:10 PM »
That's a good start.  The wavefunction squared is the probability distribution.  How do you use it to determine the probability within a certain spatial region?  Here's a hint.  What's the normalization condition for the wavefunction, and what does it mean?
What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?  - Richard P. Feynman

Sponsored Links