April 25, 2024, 09:19:37 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Question on the wording of a molecular math problem  (Read 1071 times)

Offline KAJLogic

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
Question on the wording of a molecular math problem
« on: December 08, 2013, 07:23:47 PM »
In a synthetic strand of DNA made entirely of 18 G-C base pairs it was shown that the stabilization due to hydrogen bonding was -1.4 kcal per mol of G-C base pairs.  Likewise, a strand of A-T base pairs gave the molecule stability due to hydrogen bonding of -1.2 kcal per mol of A-T base pairs.  Additionally, for a mole of any base pairs there is an additional -2.0 kcal of stability. How many A-T base pairs are found in the gene that codes for Titin, a giant protein that functions as a molecular spring responsible for the passive elasticity of muscle, which has 281,434 base pairs if the stability was calculated at -1.55 x 10-18 kcal?

What does the asker mean when they say; "additionally, for a mole for any base pairs there is an additional -2.0 kcal of stability," what does  any mean? I thought A-T was -1.2 now it is -2.0, because surely A-T would be under ANY right? Wouldn't I also need to know the sequence of the 281,434, because if variables a, b, and c make up variable t, there are surely more than one ratio between them to make up t.
Everything I will say on this forum is done in the hopes that if someone reads it and has a critique or a correction they will aid me by letting me know.

Sponsored Links