April 19, 2024, 05:50:21 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Synthesis  (Read 2477 times)

Offline MarxG

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Synthesis
« on: December 07, 2013, 06:54:27 PM »
Hello everyone,

I am trying to do a synthesis problem, but for the life of me I cannot figure it out and was hoping someone could shed some light on it. I have attached the reaction to hopefully make it easier.

Offline Dan

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +469/-72
  • Organic Chemist
    • My research
Re: Synthesis
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2013, 08:31:02 PM »
Please demonstrate that you have attempted the question. This is a Forum Rule.
My research: Google Scholar and Researchgate

Offline zsinger

• Mole Snacks: +18/-60
  • Graduate Chemist
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2013, 11:30:24 PM »
Try Radical Bromination first bubba!  Thats your hint.  I see the synthesis……not that difficult, but you must think!
"The answer is of zero significance if one cannot distinctly arrive at said place with an explanation"

Offline orgopete

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +213/-71
    • Curved Arrow Press
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2013, 10:17:51 AM »
Try Radical Bromination first bubba!  Thats your hint.  I see the synthesis……not that difficult, but you must think!

Syntheses can have many paths. This is one, but not the one I would choose. I think the key step is anticipated to be a KOtBu elimination of a chloride. I'd start with a reaction with HCl. (By the way, I don't think the in the lab result will be as good as that anticipated by textbooks, but that is a different issue.)
Author of a multi-tiered example based workbook for learning organic chemistry mechanisms.

Offline MarxG

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2013, 02:09:22 PM »
I apologize I didn't mean to not show work, I just found it difficult/awk. to put my scratch work into words.

Taking your hints I still get stuck..If I use HCl then I will break the double bond and I will have the chloride attached, I could eliminate this and then use oxymecuration to get an OH and methyl both at the top, but then I don't know how to remove the methyl group.

And in terms of free radical bromination I run into the same wall.

I hope that makes sense as I may be trying to approach this problem the completely wrong way.

Offline zsinger

• Mole Snacks: +18/-60
  • Graduate Chemist
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2013, 04:37:30 PM »
Yea, Orgopete's way is better.  Although these reactions NEVER come out cleanly in the lab.  I hate aromatic chemistry.  Never works just right!
"The answer is of zero significance if one cannot distinctly arrive at said place with an explanation"

Offline orgopete

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +213/-71
    • Curved Arrow Press
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2013, 10:21:44 PM »
Hint, in either case, the intermediate is a secondary carbocation adjacent to a tertiary center.
Author of a multi-tiered example based workbook for learning organic chemistry mechanisms.

Sponsored Links