April 19, 2024, 05:52:53 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Translational symmetry of crystals  (Read 3604 times)

Offline missUK11

• Mole Snacks: +0/-4
Translational symmetry of crystals
« on: December 07, 2013, 02:59:55 PM »
For the space group P21cn, I understand that there is a 2-fold screw axis which consists of a 180° rotation followed by a translation of 1/2 unit length, but how do I know along what direction ( a, b or c) the translation occurs. Also what does does the c and n mean?

please someone help me :-[

Offline kriggy

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +136/-16
Re: Translational symmetry of crystals
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2013, 05:19:42 PM »
My knowledge on this topic is very limited but I think the translation goes along the rotation axis

Offline missUK11

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2013, 09:27:52 PM »
My knowledge on this topic is very limited but I think the translation goes along the rotation axis

ok thanks!

Offline AWK

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +555/-93
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2013, 02:03:34 AM »
This is a non-standard setting of orthorhombic space group Pna21. A sequence of symbols in orthorhombic space group 21, c, and n concern always a, b and c direction, respectively. For axes moving is always along direction of axis, for planes a, b ,c, d, and n direction of moving and translation is coded by the symbol (read textbook).
AWK

Offline missUK11

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2013, 03:36:28 AM »
This is a non-standard setting of orthorhombic space group Pna21. A sequence of symbols in orthorhombic space group 21, c, and n concern always a, b and c direction, respectively. For axes moving is always along direction of axis, for planes a, b ,c, d, and n direction of moving and translation is coded by the symbol (read textbook).

Thank-you :)

Sponsored Links