April 29, 2024, 09:50:30 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: What non-polar solvent is colchicine alkaloid soluble in?  (Read 2569 times)

Offline Callumnattress

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
What non-polar solvent is colchicine alkaloid soluble in?
« on: December 15, 2013, 03:49:54 PM »
I'm extracting colchicine and I need to know what non-polar solvent it is soluble in.

Thanks

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: What non-polar solvent is colchicine alkaloid soluble in?
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2013, 04:27:53 PM »
And what references have you tried?  The protocol you're following may well have the extraction procedure, in the literature reference, or in the references the journal article lists at the end.  Can you reach those?  How did you get the colchium bulbs?  Did the source of raw material have some ideas for you?

I'm sorry to answer a question with questions, but this is what we do here.  We try to help you help yourself.  I hate to be unfair, but when someone asks for something they could just look up, I sometimes wonder if they're a novice, trying to do something dangerous on their own, with limited safety knowledge.  Colchicine is quite toxic.

You can read more in the forum rules.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline Callumnattress

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Re: What non-polar solvent is colchicine alkaloid soluble in?
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2013, 04:40:36 PM »
Everywhere I have looked about this extraction talks about different non-polar solvents. Some of these include: dicloromethane, chloroform, naphtha, petroleum ether and other hydrocarbons. I'm not sure which one would be best. There isn't a universal non-polar solvent that alkaloids are soluble in and some alkaloids are more soluble in naphtha for example than others. I want to know some non-polar solvents that colchicine will definitely be soluble in for the planning of my experiment, it's just online there doesn't seem to be one solvent that is out used above others. Thanks for the help so far.

Sponsored Links