March 28, 2024, 08:28:55 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: beginner question on something simple  (Read 7983 times)

Corvettaholic

beginner question on something simple
« on: July 13, 2004, 06:29:42 PM »
So I've never really worked much with o-chem before, but it seems really neat. As a general rule, are any organic compounds conductive at all? How do they respond to magnetic fields? And slightly unrelated, what exactly is the composition of 10W30 motor oil and how is regular different from synthetic?

Offline Winga

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +39/-10
Re:beginner question on something simple
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2004, 12:26:49 AM »
Fullerene (C60), a superconductor.

Corvettaholic

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2004, 12:22:47 PM »
But isn't fullerene tough to get a hold of or synthesize? I'm thinking common stuff, like propane, alcohols, and stuff like that.

Offline Scratch-

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +6/-4
  • llamas, eat my bazooka!
    • Chemical Forums
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2004, 02:37:55 PM »
Aren’t fullerenes inorganic? Your skin and blood and other organs conduct somewhat (that’s why you can complete a circuit with your body, sometimes with ill effects). There are iron compounds in your brain and in other animals' brains that allow some of them to tell what direction their going (using the earths magnetic field).
Hydrochloric acid, guaranteed to make you lose weight!

Corvettaholic

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2004, 04:29:20 PM »
well doesn't your body conduct because of the large amount of water and all the salts? I'm thinking of stuff that ends in -ane -ene -ester and crap like that.

Offline jdurg

• Banninator
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +106/-23
  • I am NOT a freak.
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2004, 05:34:24 PM »
well doesn't your body conduct because of the large amount of water and all the salts? I'm thinking of stuff that ends in -ane -ene -ester and crap like that.

That is correct.  Your body doesn't conduct electricity because of all the organic molecules.  It conducts electricity because it has a VERY high water content and that water contains many, many, many different ions in it.
"A real fart is beefy, has a density greater than or equal to the air surrounding it, consists

Offline Winga

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +39/-10
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2004, 12:46:53 AM »
An organic compound contains extended alternative single and double bond (conjugated system) which the pi electrons can transfer via overlapped p-orbitals, called resonance / mesomeric effect. But I am not quite sure that is there anyone use this as a conductor before.

Sponsored Links