April 20, 2024, 10:16:24 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: AA spectroscopy practice question  (Read 2413 times)

Offline Khemikooligan

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
AA spectroscopy practice question
« on: December 15, 2013, 04:19:47 PM »
Hi, I'm taking the ACS analytical exam on tuesday and the following question was one we reviewed in recitation. The TA told us the answer (I had it written down somewhere but can't find it) however she did not show is how to calculate it and I was curious if someone could help me set up the problem?

Atomic absorption spectroscopy was used to measure copper
in an ore sample. Sample A contained 10 mL of ore solution and
sample B contained 10 mL of ore solution and 5 mL of a 2 ppm
copper standard. The AA reading for sample A was 0.4291 and
sample B was 0.5847. How much copper (in ppm) is in sample
A?

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: AA spectroscopy practice question
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2013, 04:36:06 PM »
Don't look at this question as a text block.  Instead, look at the text as a table -- write it out or visualize it.

An unknown has one signal, the same unknown + 2 ppm standard has a higher signal.  How much more signal?  How much signal + for each ppm?  How much does the unknown signal itself correlate to ppm?
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline Khemikooligan

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Re: AA spectroscopy practice question
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2013, 05:03:24 PM »
Don't look at this question as a text block.  Instead, look at the text as a table -- write it out or visualize it.

An unknown has one signal, the same unknown + 2 ppm standard has a higher signal.  How much more signal?  How much signal + for each ppm?  How much does the unknown signal itself correlate to ppm?

Thanks for trying to help, I realized the problem had nothing to do with AA spectroscopy and was a question on standard addition. Using a dilution factor for the standard and a standard addition equation I was able to come to the answer of 0.958 ppm for the ore sample.

Sponsored Links