April 19, 2024, 04:55:53 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Bond angle in phosphoric acid (H3PO4)  (Read 8207 times)

Offline regisz

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1/-1
Bond angle in phosphoric acid (H3PO4)
« on: December 18, 2013, 06:59:48 PM »
Hi!
I would like to make a 3D model of a H3PO4 molecule but I cannot find the bond angles anywhere. I do not really rely on my calculations, so can you give me the correct angles?
The angle between O-P-O should be about 109,5 but theres a non bounding electron pair instead of a hydrogen in one of the oxygens, so its not symmetric...
Thanks

Offline Schrödinger

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +138/-98
Re: Bond angle in phosphoric acid (H3PO4)
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2013, 12:54:42 PM »
So, this non bonding pair of electrons due to the double bonded oxygen atom... What exactly is its effect on the other O-H moities? Notice that this particular P-O bond is shorter than the rest. What does it mean in terms of e-e repulsion?
"Destiny is not a matter of chance; but a matter of choice. It is not a thing to be waited for; it is a thing to be achieved."
- William Jennings Bryan

enthalpyburns

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2013, 02:05:33 PM »
Since a double bond acts as a single effective bonding pair, the H3PO4 structure is most similar to a tetrahedral geometry. The 109.5 degrees  between the OH and OH and O might be a bit distorted though.

Offline AWK

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +555/-93
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2013, 03:23:46 AM »
Hi!
I would like to make a 3D model of a H3PO4 molecule but I cannot find the bond angles anywhere. I do not really rely on my calculations, so can you give me the correct angles?
The angle between O-P-O should be about 109,5 but theres a non bounding electron pair instead of a hydrogen in one of the oxygens, so its not symmetric...
Thanks
Search journals or databases for crystal structure of phoshoric acid
AWK

Sponsored Links