April 16, 2024, 02:45:30 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Balance chemical equation with 2 multiplications or more?  (Read 2580 times)

Offline techdealer

• Mole Snacks: +0/-2
Balance chemical equation with 2 multiplications or more?
« on: December 27, 2013, 05:03:00 PM »
Hello,

I wonder what is the correct way to expand a chemical equation with 2 multiplications or more, in order to balance it. I found nothing on the net about it.

For exemple, the following equation:
CuSO4*2H2O*3H2O = CuSO4 + H2O

how I should expand the first reagent?

should be?
CuSO4H4O2H6O3 -> CuSO4H10O5

for my logic should be this, but looks like that this is wrong, at least if i replace the first reagent by the expanded form, i get a different result in a software to balance chemical equations.

Someone can help me?

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1800/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Balance chemical equation with 2 multiplications or more?
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2013, 06:17:00 PM »
It is not a multiplication, it is just a way writing formulas, instead of * it should use a middle dot (·) - so CuSO4·5H2O (no idea why someone would want to write CuSO4·2H2O·3H2O, although technically it is correct).

For balancing it is equivalent of writing CuSO4(H2O)5 (or CuSO4(H2O)2(H2O)3).

CuSO4H4O2H6O3 -> CuSO4H10O5

These are equivalent. Both are H10O9SCu (elements sorted by their atomic number).
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline techdealer

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2013, 06:40:35 PM »
In the meantime, I figured out how this works.

Im currently programming my own chemical equation balancer tool, so I should consider all "Pseudo-situations", that the users could insert.

Offline sjb

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +222/-42
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2013, 04:33:49 AM »
It is not a multiplication, it is just a way writing formulas, instead of * it should use a middle dot (·) - so CuSO4·5H2O (no idea why someone would want to write CuSO4·2H2O·3H2O, although technically it is correct).

The dihydrate exists, from memory. I think there are 3 waters less tightly bound to the complex. See e.g. http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Copper%28II%29_sulfate&oldid=586890936 , though looking at the link why not go the full hog and depict as CuSO4·H2O·2H2O.2H2O ?

Offline techdealer

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2013, 08:50:25 PM »
There are definitely molecules with more than 1 conjunt of "? hydrates ?". For exemple, i found some at this page: http://minmag.geoscienceworld.org/content/77/7/2887.abstract (really nice  >:D )

I think the issue is resolved and I am glad to say that I managed implement support for multiple "? hydrates ?" in the tool that in working.

Just a final question: what is the most extense/big (in number of elements) chemical reaction/equation that you know? I want display one really big as an exemple of my future tool.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2013, 09:08:40 PM by techdealer »

Sponsored Links