April 25, 2024, 02:59:26 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: pH of sodium bicarbonate solution  (Read 24615 times)

Offline SodiumBicarbonate

• Mole Snacks: +0/-1
pH of sodium bicarbonate solution
« on: January 06, 2014, 06:32:31 PM »
Hi,

I'm asked to calculate the pH value of a 0.320 M sodium bicarbonate solution, given the following Ka values:

1. H2CO3 ::equil:: H+ + HCO3-, Ka1 = 4.45×10-7

2. HCO3- ::equil:: H+ + CO3-, Ka2 = 4.7×10-11

Here's my idea:

I assume sodium bicarbonate dissociates completely in water, so we start with 0.320 M of HCO3-, and then the system reaches an equilibrium. In order to use the given data, I look at this equilibrium as if it was the result of a two-step ionization process of the biprotic acid H2CO3. For calculating the pH value purposes, the second step is negligible, so we focus on the first step.

Now I consider the following reaction: HCO3- + water ::equil:: H2CO3 + OH-, with Kb = Kw / Ka1 = 2.247×10-8. Say x M of sodium bicarbonate have reacted with water, so we have 0.320 - x ≈ 0.320 M sodium bicarbonate, x M H2CO3 and x M OH-.

We get 2.247×10-8 = x2 / 0.320, so x = 0.0000848, pOH = -log(x) = 4.072 and pH = 14 - pH = 9.928.

Am I right? Is this a valid argument? Is there any simpler way to do it (for instance, without calculating the pOH first)? Does it make sense I didn't use Ka2 at all?

Thanks in advance!

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Re: pH of sodium bicarbonate solution
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2014, 06:51:14 PM »

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2014, 03:03:58 AM »
You can't ignore second dissociation step.

ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2014, 08:31:08 AM »
http://www.chembuddy.com/?left=pH-calculation&right=pH-amphiprotic-salt

Actually, there's something I don't quite understand. Equation 12.4 says [H+] = [A2] - [H2A], but there's a second source of H+, the autoionization of water. How do we know its effect is negligible? I mean, if Ka1 = 4.45×10-7, as in my case, aren't we dealing with H+ concentration so small that the autoionization of water can no longer be ignored?

Again, thanks in advance. I really appreciate your help.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2014, 08:43:00 AM »
Please reread the page, it addresses your concerns.

At the very beginning it is stated that we ASSUME water autoionization can be neglected. As every assumption, it doesn't have to be true always.

Then, at the bottom, there are tables that show how the equation behaves depending on the concentration of the amphiprotic salt. The latter shows how the assumption becomes more and more problematic for diluted solutions.

Contrary to what it may look it is not concentration of H+ that tells us if we can ignore water autoionization, but concentrations of substances involved in the H+ production and consumption. If they are large enough, water autoionization is not capable of overcoming whatever they do. Your problem asks about pH of the solution that 0.320 M in HCO3-, so we are on the safe side. It it were 3.2×10-5 situation would be completely different.

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2014, 09:20:09 AM »
Please reread the page, it addresses your concerns.

At the very beginning it is stated that we ASSUME water autoionization can be neglected. As every assumption, it doesn't have to be true always.

Then, at the bottom, there are tables that show how the equation behaves depending on the concentration of the amphiprotic salt. The latter shows how the assumption becomes more and more problematic for diluted solutions.

Contrary to what it may look it is not concentration of H+ that tells us if we can ignore water autoionization, but concentrations of substances involved in the H+ production and consumption. If they are large enough, water autoionization is not capable of overcoming whatever they do. Your problem asks about pH of the solution that 0.320 M in HCO3-, so we are on the safe side. It it were 3.2×10-5 situation would be completely different.

You're right, we have 0.320 M of HCO3-, but on the other hand, Ka1 = 4.45×10-7, in my case, which is way smaller than NaH2PO4's Ka value of 0.007 from ChemBuddy's example. So, if I understand what's going on, in my case, reaction 1 will tend much more toward H2CO3 in comparison to ChemBuddy's example, which means much lower concentration of H+. Am I right? Assuming I am, it's still not completely clear to me why it's legitimate to neglect the water autoionization effect on equation 12.4.

Sponsored Links