April 16, 2024, 03:07:00 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: some questions about air ionization  (Read 7485 times)

Offline edc

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
some questions about air ionization
« on: January 06, 2014, 07:35:53 PM »
Thinking about buying an air purifier.
Some technologies are used ionization.
The most famous Plasmacluster from Sharp and Nanoe from Panasonic.
I would like to understand how the claimed processes correspond to reality.
At Sharp technology is as follows:
Generated ions of both signs.

Then, these ions and water molecules are creating clusters.

A plasma discharge generates positive ions (H+) and negative ions (O2 – ) from water vapor in
the air. These ions have the property of clustering around microparticles, and thus, they
surround harmful substances such as airborne mold, viruses and allergens. At that point, a
chemical reaction occurs on the cell membrane surface, and they are transformed into OH
radicals, a powerfully active but unstable material, which robs the harmful substance of a
hydrogen atom (H). As a result, they are inactivated by severing the protein on the cell
membrane, opening holes. The OH radicals instantly bond with the removed hydrogen (H), forming water vapor (H2O), and return to the air.

By these processes, two questions:
1. Why OH formation occurs only on the surface of harmful substances, but what about the surface of human and other living beings?
2. Are formed clusters with H + and O2-ions correspond to ions that are present in the air near open water like a ocean?

Technology from Panasonic is another.
Cluster of OH- is formed of electrons and water directly from the water vapor present in the air.

Says the following about safety. Ionized water molecule (unlike the ionized air molecules) can not enter into chemical reactions with nitrogen-containing compounds present in the air. This makes it completely harmless and allows the use of this type of ionization around the clock in areas where there are people.
It turns out that the human skin contains nitrogenous compound and harmful substances (bacteria, viruses, odor molecules, etc.) is not?

I would be very grateful for any comments.

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: some questions about air ionization
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2014, 07:58:21 PM »
Well, only air is passing through the system, so only the moisture in the air is acquiring a small static charge of ions. These charged ions clusters can do some human tissue damage, but we rapidly repair it.  The microbes are simply dead once damaged too much.  Human like the smell of slightly ionized air, its the clean sensation we get after a thunderstorm.  But these devices have to be metered to not over do it.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2015, 08:37:59 AM by Arkcon »
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Sponsored Links