April 19, 2024, 04:59:20 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: How to create this chemical - Synthesis?  (Read 2960 times)

Offline Account22

• Mole Snacks: +0/-1
How to create this chemical - Synthesis?
« on: January 13, 2014, 10:04:41 PM »
I am having trouble finding ways to create this chemical, as it is not sold online in any of the chemical vendors - Alfa, Sigma etc. So instead I was wondering is there any way of making this from chemicals available in the vendors or obtainable by a company?
In the image is the name and structure. I hope you can help. I only need the reactions from chemicals, or synthesis, reductions etc.
Thanks,

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: How to create this chemical - Synthesis?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2014, 06:33:10 AM »
I'm pretty sure piperzine is sold by laboratory suppliers, its a common organic synthesis reagent.  Do you know how to make the chloride salt of an organic base?  And what is your application?  This reagent is a drug precusor, so its hard to get if you don't have the credentials.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline Account22

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2014, 11:56:21 AM »
The application is to first create Piperazine Hydrochloride, and then to synthesise it with 1-bromo-3-phenylpropane. This will be our final product, we do have the credentials, however unsure on what route to go, as if Piperazine is mixed directly with HCL it produces some unwanted effects - fume cupboard with smoke, but very small yield, so was wondering if there was a better way.

Offline Account22

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2014, 12:01:08 PM »
I know the catalysts etc needed, just how to create Piperazine HCL, here the plan -
to use potassium carbonate, Potassium Iodine, and tetrahydrofuran. Reflux for 24 hours, then place into water, extract using Dichloro, Wash with water, then Dry using magnesium Sulphate, and finally evaporate the solvent.

Offline zsinger

• Mole Snacks: +18/-60
  • Graduate Chemist
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2014, 02:49:56 PM »
I'm nearly certain that your aforementioned synthesis will not work.  Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong.  Not sure what the mix of K-Bicarb, KI, and THF will do, as I do not see any viable reactions to take place in the pot.  What reactions are you suggesting take place? 
Also, turning something into a hydrochloride salt is something that should only be performed in a fume hood, and always using HCl (g) (not for a novice chemist).  It creates quite noxious fumes, so be careful and assure that you have all the training necessary to do that!
                           -Zack
"The answer is of zero significance if one cannot distinctly arrive at said place with an explanation"

Offline 408

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +103/-30
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2014, 12:51:24 AM »
Making a hydrochloride salt is a rather novice skill.  Dissolve piperazine in water.  Add stoichiometric dilute HCl. If it fumes too much, chill the reaction before adding. Evaporate.

why the s#*$ are you trying to add sodium carbonate, and potassium iodide to make this?  You do not even have a chloride source..!

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1800/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2014, 02:57:54 AM »
This is ridiculous, I am closing the thread. You have no training and no idea about what you are doing.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Sponsored Links