April 25, 2024, 12:26:08 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: UV spectroscopy problem  (Read 1746 times)

Offline DublinPaddy

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
UV spectroscopy problem
« on: January 07, 2014, 08:42:08 AM »
I've been studying for a spectroscopy test and I'm stuck on this question now for quite a while, I would be grateful if anyone could help me out!

(a) The UV spectrum of a simple diatomic shows a Voo line at 19378cm-1 and a convergence limit at 39231cm-1. Upon photochemical excitation the molecule dissociates producing one atom in its lowest energy excited state and one ground state atom. The excitation energy of the former is 10308cm-1. Calculate the dissociation energy of the ground and excited state of this molecule.

(b) The same compound as part (a) was examined by infrared spectroscopy. The values of ωe and xe for this compound are provided below. Calculate the number of vibrational energy levels below the dissociation limit and hence the dissociation energy of the molecule. Explain any difference between the value obtained from infrared spectroscopy and that obtained from UV.

ωe = 1641.4       Xe = 7.11*10^-3

Offline Corribus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +530/-23
  • A lover of spectroscopy and chocolate.
Re: UV spectroscopy problem
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2014, 12:24:36 PM »
You need to show your work to receive help.
What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?  - Richard P. Feynman

Sponsored Links