April 25, 2024, 10:37:51 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Can someone please help me with this mole project?  (Read 8179 times)

Offline Sourdeez

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Can someone please help me with this mole project?
« on: January 04, 2009, 02:41:52 PM »
Our chemistry teacher gave us a small project, but due to the break coming up he didn't have time to explain how to go about if thoroughly.  Everyone who I asked for advice in my class is just as confused as I am.  It's about moles, but he didn't even explain what mole's really are, he just gave us a formula for a mole.  The following is what we were asked:

"Your task is to determine and prove the immensity of the mole. You will need to come up with an interesting or unusual measurement. Then, you must determine, through research and calculations, the size, length, width, depth, etc.

You must show your calculations using dimensional analysis (the factor-label method) and cite all sources. You may use whatever citation format you prefer. Calculations should be step-by-step, thorough, neat, and easy to follow. Finally, create a display (any reasonable size) showing how big a mole of your subject is

ex:1.Enjoy cereal? Not enough to eat a mole of Total, Sara Dalton of Knoxville calculated. Allowing for average slurping and spilling, you'd have to eat 95,446,473,871 boxes per second for an entire century to down a mole of flakes.

2.A mole of fleas would be a plague of Biblical proportions. The critters would cover the entire earth to a depth of eight feet—1182 times "

Can somebody please fill me in on what exactly this project is asking and how I should go about it?  Thanks, and advice will be greatly appreciated

Offline sjb

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +222/-42
Re: Can someone please help me with this mole project?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2009, 04:03:28 PM »
Well, what is a mole (in this context)?

Offline Sourdeez

• Very New Member
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2009, 08:43:43 PM »
Well, what is a mole (in this context)?

This may seem stupid, please excuse me as I said I am not familiar with this topic at all, but what do you mean by this.  I think a mole is always the same, the question is comparing a unit times a mole to something else to emphasize the enormity of a mole.  If this is wrong, sorry I don't really understand it, I wrote everything it says on my sheet in the first post

Offline ghost

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2009, 10:20:02 PM »
I'm pretty sure what your teacher is asking you to do is think of something, like, for example, lego bricks, and imagine you had exactly a mole's amount of those bricks all put together into a block. Then, based upon the dimensions of each brick, calculate how large that block would be in terms of common measurements, like inches or centimeters. For example: You could tell your teacher that you made a block that was exactly 6 feet high and 3 feet wide, and was ___ feet long (calculate that based upon the given measurements, and show the calculations using dimensional analysis). As long as you know the brick's actual dimensions in terms of feet and Avogadro's number, this shouldn't be too difficult. Hope this helps.

Offline laurelai

• Very New Member
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2014, 04:06:25 PM »
I have the exact same project right now. I have no idea how to do it or what to base my calculations off of. If you remember anything about this project please send me a reply asap.

Sponsored Links