April 24, 2024, 07:36:31 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Thermoplastic elastomers  (Read 3742 times)

Offline neptuneklm

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Thermoplastic elastomers
« on: January 21, 2014, 10:12:57 AM »
Hello, I am wondering if anyone can help me identify what TPE this is?  I'm pretty sure it's EPDM and something.  I am not sure what the doublet around 1750 is though.  The FTIR scan is attached.

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: Thermoplastic elastomers
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2014, 05:10:30 PM »
Image may have been cut off, you may want to try attaching a normal image file, instead of waiting if people want to download a PDF.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline neptune

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2014, 07:56:20 AM »
I attached the file in a jpeg form, hopefully that works.

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2014, 08:37:44 AM »
We generally don't refer to twin peaks in FTIR as a doublet.  Perhaps, you have two populations of C=O, one stronger and one weaker.  As per this reference: http://www2.ups.edu/faculty/hanson/Spectroscopy/IR/IRInterpretation.htm  Perhaps you can change the way you handle your sample to try and clean up the aromatic region around 1400?  As in, use a different solvent or prepare the solid sample more thinly.  Do you have a source for the spectra of your possible candidates?  As in, do these particular elastomers always give this sort of spectrum?
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline Corribus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +530/-23
  • A lover of spectroscopy and chocolate.
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2014, 10:14:56 AM »
It's difficult to take an IR spectrum and identify a precise chemical structure from it. You can do general functional group identification, but without a digitized spectral library at one's disposal (or personal experience with the exact molecule you've got there), it's kind of like finding a needle in a haystack.
What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?  - Richard P. Feynman

Sponsored Links