March 29, 2024, 10:36:51 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Voltalization of slats.  (Read 2903 times)

Offline Elvyn

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Voltalization of slats.
« on: January 22, 2014, 02:00:42 PM »
Hi,
I'm not really sure that this is the right place to ask this, if it isn't, please move my subject into a correct place. I would also like to say, that I'm not very good at chemistry... so please be patient with me.

I'm interested in voltalization of metallic salts. I want to make them "fly", evaporate along with some other substances at low temperatures.

My starting point is work preformed by Professor Manfred Junius, described in "The Circulatum Minus annotated". He describes there voltalizations of mineral remains of herbs extracted from theirs ashes (probably KOH?), using alcohol and resins. Unfortunately he doesn't explain how does it work. I would like to learn that.
I will quote some of this work:
"resins (...) are complex mixtures
of mainly aromatic substances with properties of acids, further
alcohols, phenols, strongly unsaturated substances."

"(We shall see later that the organic acids it contains
are the key to the secret of volatilizing the Salts). Since
the organic acids present in the distillate do not suffice for the
operation, more have to be added from outside."

"(Succinic acid which
amber contains is a marvellous catalyst)."
He claims that he succeeded.

I would like to politely ask you, to explain to me how could it work ?
I also wonder if it could also work with some other metal salts (for example bitsmuth salts) ?

I will be very gratefull for all the answers.
Thank you.

Offline Corribus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +526/-23
  • A lover of spectroscopy and chocolate.
Re: Voltalization of slats.
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2014, 02:10:06 PM »
Well you can volatilze practically anything if you increase the temperature and decrease the external pressure enough.  You can even volatilize asteroids!  See, e.g., http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vulcanoids . You can also do this kind of thing in a focused way by thermal or laser ablation.

Without reading entire papers, it's hard to know how it was accomplished in this case, though.
What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?  - Richard P. Feynman

Offline Elvyn

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2014, 03:12:45 PM »
Thank you for your answer.
Although I'm more interested in accomplishing voltalization of slats in home environment.

I will describe Junius process more clearly. He took some herbs, and burned them completely. Then he dissolve the ash in water, filtered it and evaporated the water, witch caused crystallization of matter. This matter was taken, and some resin was pour over it, kept it at 40 degrees of Celsius. Then he pour alcohol over it, waited a little bit, and simply distilled it at temperature not exceeding 100 degrees of Celsius.
Is that chemically possible ? If so how can it work ?

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1799/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2014, 04:50:28 PM »
Somehow it doesn't sound to me like a real chemistry, more like a snake oil recepture.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Sponsored Links