April 20, 2024, 08:57:30 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: unnormalized wave function  (Read 8929 times)

Offline orgo814

• Mole Snacks: +11/-6
unnormalized wave function
« on: January 27, 2014, 05:34:16 PM »
"An unnormalized wave function for an electron in a carbon nanotube of length L is sin (2pix/L). Normalize this wave function"

Below is the solution to the problem. I am having trouble understanding some of these steps (The symbol between the 2 and x is supposed to be a pi symbol).

Ψ(x) = Nsin(2πx/L)

1 = (N^2) ∫ [sin(2πx/L)]^2 dx (I understand this)

1 = (N^2) ∫ ½ − ½ cos(4πx/L) dx (I understand this since sin^2(x) = 1/2-1/2 cos(2x)

1 = (N^2)[(x/2) - (L/8π)sin(4πx/L)] (I do not understand this step at all. I do not understand where the x/2 and 8/L came from and how we are now back at sin instead of cos)

where the normalization boundaries are x=0 --> x=L, hence the integration becomes:

1 = (N^2)(L/2) (I don't understand where the L/2 came from. I'm having trouble understanding the math to get it)

N = (2/L)^1/2

Finally, the normalized wavefunction is:

Ψ(x) = [(2/L)^1/2]sin(2πx/L) (no idea where the sin2pix/L came from..)

Please help for I am very lost and confused on these steps.

Offline orgo814

Re: unnormalized wave function
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2014, 05:37:57 PM »
Edit: I do not understand where the x/2 and 8/L came from and how we are now back at sin instead of cos); 8/L is supposed to be L/8pi

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1800/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2014, 05:52:48 PM »
1 = (N^2) ∫ ½ − ½ cos(4πx/L) dx (I understand this since sin^2(x) = 1/2-1/2 cos(2x)

1 = (N^2)[(x/2) - (L/8π)sin(4πx/L)] (I do not understand this step at all. I do not understand where the x/2 and 8/L came from and how we are now back at sin instead of cos)

But you know what integration is?

[tex]\int \frac 1 2 dx= \frac x 2 + C[/tex]
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline orgo814

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2014, 06:00:51 PM »
So that explains the x/2. Where does the L/8pi come from and why does it change back to sin

Offline Corribus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +530/-23
  • A lover of spectroscopy and chocolate.
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2014, 08:03:08 PM »
butlerw2, this is really just an exercise in Introductory Calculus. The sin comes from the fact that the integral of a cos(x) function is proportional to sin(x). The L comes from the fact that one of the limits of integration is a factor of the variable L. I suggest you find a good Calculus textbook and look up how to do a definite integration. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Definite_integral
« Last Edit: January 27, 2014, 09:05:09 PM by Corribus »
What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?  - Richard P. Feynman

Sponsored Links