April 26, 2024, 12:29:49 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Fume Hood Usage in Commercial Analytical Laboratories  (Read 1936 times)

J.R.E.

Fume Hood Usage in Commercial Analytical Laboratories
« on: January 23, 2014, 06:03:52 PM »
About two weeks ago I started a new job as a volatiles analyst/extractions person at an environmental testing lab. I have no experience working in a commercial lab and was surprised to find out that their fume hoods do not work, aside from one small one that is not entirely useful for the scale of the work they are expecting me to do. I will be doing separatory funnel extractions for EPA 8270 analysis and using methylene chloride, which I know is an irritant and potential carcinogen. I would like some feedback from people who have worked in analytical labs doing extractions. Are they typically done outside of the fume hood?

It would set my mind at ease if I learn that the fume hood is not necessary for this work, but I do feel a little deceived after being told on the tour during my interview that their large fume hoods are operational. Another employee informed me yesterday that they have been broken for a long time and that he has requested several times for them to be fixed. I would like to hear about other lab analysts' experiences related to this topic.

Offline Hunter2

• Mole Snacks: +166/-48
  • Vena Lausa moris pax drux bis totis
Re: Fume Hood Usage in Commercial Analytical Laboratories
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2014, 01:07:08 AM »
First: The equipment has to be work in a proper matter. It doesn't matter which work the people has to do. A fume hood is a device to protect the people from dangerous fumes and gases. Do you have a health and safety officer (HES) in your company. I would asked him, if on normal way it will not fixed. Its at least your health and the one of your colleagues. Later if some body has cancer nobody of the big bosses are interested to hear what was the cause of it.

Sponsored Links