April 27, 2024, 07:14:52 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Ozonolysis of vegetable oil  (Read 2962 times)

Offline TyPie

• Mole Snacks: +3/-2
Ozonolysis of vegetable oil
« on: January 31, 2014, 11:16:02 AM »
Hey!

I'm just curious as to the actual method of performing ozonolysis.  I was hoping to extract soy bean oil from my crop to produce glycerol w/ a polymer chain to synthesize plastics, but I'm kind of confused as to how ozonolysis works.  I read that you can use dry ice and methanol to make ozone, but I also read that it can be explosive (I want to keep my fingers).     

Does anyone have experience using ozone here that could help me out with my problem? 

Offline discodermolide

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +405/-70
    • My research history
Re: Ozonolysis of vegetable oil
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2014, 11:35:56 AM »
You buy an ozone generator. Basically by passing an electric discharge through oxygen you generate ozone. The gas can be condensed in a dry ice/methanol or better liquid nitrogen cooling bath. You need to be careful here because you may condense oxygen which is also highly reactive and can cause explosions. The best thing is to generate the ozone and use it immediately for the next reaction.
Don't store it.
So if you think you can use dry ice/methanol to make ozone I don't advise you doing this chemistry.
Anyway commercially available ozonisers are expensive.
Development Chemists do it on Scale, Research Chemists just do it!
My Research History

Offline TyPie

• Mole Snacks: +3/-2
Re: Ozonolysis of vegetable oil
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2014, 01:47:47 PM »
Thanks for the quick reply,

I just noticed that.  I was thinking of the small ozone air freshening machines, but I just noticed that they only produce about 2 grams of ozone per a day (This wouldn't be viable).  I think I can pull off the larger machines, but I'd have to check the energy requirements, and I'll probably be put into the red for doing something like this. 

Sponsored Links