April 29, 2024, 02:51:34 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Very basic - use of symbols  (Read 2711 times)

Offline renbri

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Very basic - use of symbols
« on: February 02, 2014, 06:09:29 PM »
I thought, in a chemical formula, a regular number indicated the number of molecules of the element that followed (e.g. 2C would be two molecules of carbon) and a subscript indicated the number of atoms in the molecule of the preceding element (e.g. H2 would be a hydrogen molecule with two atoms -as normal).
That would mean that H2O signified a two-atom molecule of hydrogen bonded to a molecule of oxygen -which seems okay. But I often see it written H2O and to me that ought to mean one molecule (or atom?) of hydrogen and two of oxygen!
Evidently I don't understand the rules properly, Could somebody please tell me where I'm going wrong? Thanks.

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: Very basic - use of symbols
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2014, 07:29:38 PM »
Briefly, H2O means that someone has forgotten to write the subscript.  That's pretty much it.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Online Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2014, 02:59:16 AM »
Briefly, H2O means that someone has forgotten to write the subscript.  That's pretty much it.

Or was too lazy to format it properly.

Evidently I don't understand the rules properly, Could somebody please tell me where I'm going wrong? Thanks.

It is not a problem with your understanding.

Note that we never use regular numbers inside of the formula without preceding them by a middot, like in CuSO4·5H2O or CaO·Al2O3·2SiO2.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline DrCMS

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +210/-81
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2014, 04:09:20 AM »
e.g. 2C would be two molecules of carbon

No that is 2 atoms of carbon

H2 would be a hydrogen molecule with two atoms -as normal).

Yes

That would mean that H2O signified a two-atom molecule of hydrogen bonded to a molecule of oxygen -which seems okay.

No it is 2 atoms of hydrogen bonded individually to the oxygen.  There is no H-H bond in water.  There are two H-O bonds, see the molecule below.

Sponsored Links