March 28, 2024, 08:13:39 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Studying both O-Chem and Gen-Chem  (Read 2437 times)

Offline biomiracle

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Studying both O-Chem and Gen-Chem
« on: February 10, 2014, 03:07:17 AM »
Hello!  Is it okay to study both general chemistry and organic chemistry at the same time?  I am currently taking the organic chemistry and I had completed the general chemistry course on last semester, but I forgot the majority of the topics from general chemistry....since I kept the textbook for the general chemistry (Oxtoby), I can study it independently...However, I am still doubting if it is okay to study both of them...

Offline biomiracle

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Studying both A-Chem and Gen-Chem
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2014, 03:09:52 AM »
Hello!  I am a college freshman who is currently taking the analytical chemistry course; I completed the general chemistry on the last semester, but I feel like I forgot majority of the topics from the gen.chem....I am also afraid that not having the comprehensive understanding of the general chemistry might hurt me on the current analytical chemistry course, so I am thinking of studying general chemistry (textbook: Oxtoby) independently...However, is general chemistry an absolute necessity for the analytical chemistry?

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1799/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Studying both A-Chem and Gen-Chem
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2014, 03:36:12 AM »
is general chemistry an absolute necessity for the analytical chemistry?

Yes. It is also a must for organic chemistry that you asked about in a separate thread.

However, if you have just completed GenChem, chances are you don't need to study it again entirely, just brushing on the concepts as they become necessary. A lot depends on what it really means "I forgot majority"...
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Sponsored Links