April 28, 2024, 05:57:03 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Should I Stay or Should I Go (and come back next year)  (Read 6084 times)

Offline mragsdale45

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Should I Stay or Should I Go (and come back next year)
« on: January 17, 2014, 05:40:01 PM »
Currently in my second semester of organic chemistry and I’m going to end up with a C+. Should I withdraw and retake the class next semester with hopes of getting at least a B? Or is it better to take the C+ instead of a W?

I understand I should talk to my advisor.  But figured, why not ask this group as well.

Offline kriggy

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +136/-16
Re: Should I Stay or Should I Go (and come back next year)
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2014, 10:06:30 AM »
How does it help you having B instad of C?

Offline sjb

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +222/-42
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2014, 10:36:41 AM »
And what about the 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th semesters when you may also have Organic chemistry modules anyway?

Offline mragsdale45

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2014, 06:18:40 PM »
Good points.. maybe I was thinking too much about the actual letter grade and not the big picture.  That's why I'm glad I posted here.  For other perspectives.  Many thanks.

Offline kriggy

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +136/-16
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2014, 03:40:19 AM »
Maybe. I passed my ochem2 with D. The grade usualy doesnt matter in the end, its about what you know and whether or not you can use this knowledge in the lab.

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2014, 08:47:45 AM »
OK, it really depends how rigorous your academic program is, and what your future plans are, however:

You shouldn't have a string of W, or D or C on your academic transcript.  One or two is acceptable but not several.  I know this because mine does, and it limited my future. If you retake a course, you should get an A or a B+ at worst the next time.  All of this should apply to any course, from mathematics or physics, to your core requirements (literature, sociology, etc) and absolutely to courses in your major.

If your transcript isn't mostly A and B, with only one or two C or D or W or F on the page that you can explain away as my dog died, broke up with significant other, or the like, then your academic adviser won't write a letter of recommendation for a graduate program, or medical school, or elsewhere. (They will write a job recommendation however.)  Again, I know this first hand.

It was said to me, and I may have tuned it out at the time, but now that its written down, maybe everyone can benefit -- you're not in high school anymore.  There is really no place in academia for barely passing.  In fact, A is "barely passing", you have simply lived up to the standards required.  A B means you have missed something important, something you should have picked up, applied practically, and communicated effectively.  Anything less means -- you have selected the wrong major.

I know that all sounds harsh, and I wasn't absolutely held to that standard either -- we were graded on the curve because high school kids demanded it and professors caved in to pressure.  But as much as they can, they tried to hold university students to a much higher standard.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline orgo814

• Mole Snacks: +11/-6
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2014, 03:13:56 PM »
Are you pre-med? I'm asking this because it changes the answer you're going to get from me.

If you are pre-med, retaking the class would be a good idea. A C+ in organic chemistry will apply a little damage to your application. However, if you had all A/A- in all your other pre-med courses and good MCAT scores, then you should talk this over with a pre-med advisor who may even advise you that retaking the class would be pointless. We're human and all have our strengths and weaknesses and things like this happen.

On another note, if you are not pre-med and are just planning on getting your bachelors degree or going to graduate school then I would advise against retaking the class and more or less on understanding what it is you did not understand throughout the course (i.e. was it stereochemistry tripping you up etc). A C+ indicates that there are a few things you did not understand throughout the semester, although it does depend entirely on your professor and his or her grading scale so I shouldn't make assumptions.. only you can be the judge of that.

Good luck!

Offline eazye1334

• Mole Snacks: +18/-1
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2014, 09:28:54 AM »
I really struggled with organic II, but it has never come up and certainly hasn't affected my career trajectory in any way as a Chem E. As was mentioned already, a lot depends on your goals. Pre-med? Absolutely do it again and make sure you do better. Otherwise? It probably won't matter, especially considering its a C+ and not something worse. Very rarely have I ever had anyone question my GPA or my transcript, and in those few instances it turns out they were just trying to egg me on to see what I'd say.

Offline Corribus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +530/-23
  • A lover of spectroscopy and chocolate.
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2014, 10:18:10 AM »
In undergrad I got a C+ in one of the semesters of physical chemistry. Ironic, because that ended up being my focus in grad school. But I just had one really (really) bad test in the class, the first one of the semester, and I just couldn't recover from it.

But I pushed on, got A's in every other chemistry course. I got into plenty of medical schools and grad schools despite it.  Getting into post-graduate programs isn't just about grades. It's about your test scores, interviews and application essays. If your academic record has one or two blemishes, it won't kill you. Learn from the experience and do better next time. Everyone makes mistakes along the way.

So: personally I wouldn't drop out of the class and retake it. But that said, I'd do what your academic advisor tells you do to do.
What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?  - Richard P. Feynman

Sponsored Links