April 27, 2024, 05:56:33 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Synthetic organic chemistry  (Read 4526 times)

Offline Mpatas

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Synthetic organic chemistry
« on: February 12, 2014, 11:22:00 AM »
Hello to everyone,

I will try to keep it short and comprehensive.

I am a master's student and i do an internship of 10 months in a synthetic organic group.The first two months i felt really bad, because of my low confidence in organic chemistry.The first year i succeeded in all of my courses with average grades, but lower than i am used to,and that contribute to that.When i come here,sometimes i don't have the courage to express my suggestions and when i do it my supervisor likes it but at the end he wants me to apply his ideas. I used to be a good bachelor's student but when i started my master's i felt that i can't think because of my low confidence(not even simple things).

I really want to succeed and like what i do but the fact that i don't get the happiness of doing my own ideas and be as much as independent makes me feel weak.I know that the best way is studying, studying and studying but to be honest with my self i studied a lot and i still study.

In addition , when i take a look at the job market i feel even worst,owing to the fact that almost everybody asks for a PhD and my grades don't allow me for a PhD opportunity.I wrote that in order to have a nice conversation and learn what is the best thing from scientists that are already at the pick of their careers

Thank's in advance.

Offline discodermolide

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +405/-70
    • My research history
Re: Synthetic organic chemistry
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2014, 11:34:45 AM »
With a Masters degree in science you should be able to proceed to a PhD, at least you could in my day.
The problem with working for someone is that they want their ideas carried out. You may get some leeway to do your own thing, but within the project boundaries only.
That, unfortunately, will always be the case unless you are a billionaire and can fund your own ideas.
Sorry to be a bit negative here, but it's reality. There is always someone higher in the food chain who will tell you what you have to do. How you do it is your thing and there is your freedom.
If you are like me and refuse to carry out "their ideas" then you better have damm good reasons for not doing so. That usually means you have already thought of it and done it and can prove them wrong, or right as the case may be.
My advice is to roll with the flow, do what they want and you will always learn something new, which is always good.
Development Chemists do it on Scale, Research Chemists just do it!
My Research History

Offline Corribus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +530/-23
  • A lover of spectroscopy and chocolate.
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2014, 12:40:57 PM »
Finally the thread was moved. Going into the Organic Forum gives me the willies. :D

More seriously, if you have no confidence in organic chemistry, one might question why you're getting a Masters Degree in it.  Don't sweat graduate school grades that much. They don't have a whole lot of meaning. The quality of your disseration and any publications you get out of it is far more important. Really at this point the degree is the degree. When I review applications at the MS and PhD level for hiring, I'm looking at skill matching and publications. Grades and test scores I rarely even glance at.

You'll be studying for as long as you're doing research. Better get used to it. I have a PhD and lead several research projects and I still have to study all the time.  There's no end the gap between what you know and what you need to know in order to succeed. This doesn't bother me, because I enjoy learning new things. If you find this distressing, you better choose a different career path, stat.
What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?  - Richard P. Feynman

Offline TyPie

• Mole Snacks: +3/-2
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2014, 05:55:48 PM »
Sometimes people major in their weaker points, but unfortunately it can feel like hazing when going through school.  I understand the anxiety and the pressure from school.  My biggest problem was a lot of people trying to cheat off me all the time.  I would get threatened, and have sexual propositions to allow people to cheat off me.  After a traumatic event, I found the stress/anxiety to be too much, and dropped out of school with approx. 200 credit hours and no degree.

Don't worry too much about the economy right now.  There are lots of places that are looking for chemists.

Offline orgopete

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +213/-71
    • Curved Arrow Press
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2014, 11:31:44 PM »
I am going to add my opinion here, but in a more general way. For anyone planning their career, we all wish to be kings. Over time, the majority of us will come to realize they will not win the Nobel Prize, become the CEO, or research director. However, I discovered I could derive great satisfaction in developing the ideas of others. Let me put this in a different way. I prefer to work on projects that are of interest to others. Even if I had a great idea for the 20th best betalactam, if no one else cared, neither would I. I found that what I liked most was recognition for a job well done.

I understand that early in one's career it can be difficult to discern what to do to achieve success or how to do it. However, if you take this stepwise, you should consider how you can reach the next higher level.

The nature of chemistry has a practical aspect to it. The best chemists know how to achieve success. If you are working on someone else's project, it is up to you to make it succeed. If that person has achieved funding from a company or foundation, they probably had to convince someone else of its value. If you are being paid, they are gambling on your ingenuity and skill to make their idea a success. Even though you may think you should work on your own ideas, you might think of it like learning to drive. You don't start out with an expensive new car. I started out with a ten year old Ford sedan. You have to develop your chemistry skills.

I think Corribus condensed all of this with, "I'm looking for skill matching." Corribus has a job and is seeking the best person to do it. This often works out as the best students get the best jobs (but not always). There is a reality to this. Grades aren't the only thing, but you will have to make your own evaluations.
Author of a multi-tiered example based workbook for learning organic chemistry mechanisms.

Offline curiouscat

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +121/-35
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2014, 11:38:14 PM »
My biggest problem was a lot of people trying to cheat off me all the time.  I would get threatened, and have sexual propositions to allow people to cheat off me.  After a traumatic event, I found the stress/anxiety to be too much, and dropped out of school with approx. 200 credit hours and no degree.

What do you mean by "cheat off you"? How?

Offline Academic

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2014, 04:42:04 AM »
I suffer from a lack of socio-academic confidence as well. Even though I am very committed to learning and my grades are often among the best in the class, I have a real tough time putting my ideas out there for judgement and scrutiny from my peers.

Although i'm not in an internship or at the peak of my career, I imagine that a lack of independence is exactly what you need to boost your confidence level. Over time, if you focus on applying your supervisors ideas as well as you can, you'll understand his way of thinking better

Sponsored Links