April 29, 2024, 06:24:43 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Resonance Stability  (Read 2152 times)

Offline UHStudent1138

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Resonance Stability
« on: February 12, 2014, 11:44:29 PM »
The attached test question at first seemed very easy to me: the carbocation was the most stable because carbon was the most electropositive molecule.  The nitrogen was the secondmost electronegative and so the second most stable, and the oxygen came in last.  Given that these are all different resonance forms, I fail to see any other relevant factors that would lead to the carbocation being the least stable and the oxygen the second most stable. 

Is there some other stability criterion of which I am ignorant?

Offline orgopete

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +213/-71
    • Curved Arrow Press
Re: Resonance Stability
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2014, 01:52:58 PM »
A larger number of completed octets is also used to estimate stability or resonance contributions.
Author of a multi-tiered example based workbook for learning organic chemistry mechanisms.

Offline PhDoc

• Mole Snacks: +22/-0
  • O-Chem Prof
    • PH.D. Organic Chemistry Tutor
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2014, 03:03:42 PM »
Electronegativity values: C, 2.5; N, 3.0; O, 3.5

What effect, if any, on your carbocation does the presence of two electronegative groups have?
O-Chem Prof

Offline orgopete

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +213/-71
    • Curved Arrow Press
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2014, 09:38:49 AM »
Electronegativity values: C, 2.5; N, 3.0; O, 3.5

What effect, if any, on your carbocation does the presence of two electronegative groups have?

As this hint seems contrary to the question, I am going to offer an answer. If you have a carbocation, adding one or two atoms that are more electron withdrawing logically would destabilize the carbocation. An example is the reduced stability of a carbocation alpha to a carbonyl group. I don't see this should apply here.

If you have a carbocation and electron withdrawing atoms with non-bonding electrons, do these electrons participate? If so, how should this participation be represented? I suggested the rule of most completed octets be applied. Now, granted there are two atoms that can donate. Which atom should be the greater donor? Electron withdrawing properties could be applied here, but so could acid-base properties. Suggesting electron donation I think also biases the original question.
Author of a multi-tiered example based workbook for learning organic chemistry mechanisms.

Sponsored Links