April 29, 2024, 12:51:36 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: heating H2O2 with vinegar in the microwave.  (Read 5915 times)

Offline xchcui

• Mole Snacks: +1/-5
heating H2O2 with vinegar in the microwave.
« on: February 15, 2014, 11:17:38 AM »
Hi.
I need to heat 3% hydrogen peroxide mixed with 5% white distilled vinegar(50:50)in the microwave until the solution will steam gently(in a glass jar).
I am going to use the same microwave which i,also, use to heat my food.
I concern about the health danger,so my questions are:Is it safe to do that in the microwave that is used for heat our foods?
Is it 100% safe to use the microwave for heating food after that,without be worried that the food will become toxic and not safe for eating?

Do the fumes that will be created danger?like when i will open the micro door after the solution will be ready(light steam),and i will be probably exposed to the fumes?
And the last one regard to the microwave itself:Does this action(heating that solution in the micro wave )can damage some how the microwave or decrease its life?

Thanks in advace.

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: heating H2O2 with vinegar in the microwave.
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2014, 01:21:17 PM »
As a general principle, in a laboratory or industrial setting, we never use refrigerators or microwaves for both food and chemicals.  In practical terms, you seem to be doing something at home.  You're using weak solutions of household cleaners, so what you should do is carefully wash out the microwave when you're done.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline billnotgatez

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +223/-62
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2014, 02:02:07 PM »
This WIKI may be of interest to you
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peracetic_acid

Online Hunter2

• Mole Snacks: +168/-48
  • Vena Lausa moris pax drux bis totis
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2014, 01:57:45 AM »
The question is does he really want to make Peracetc acid at home. So far no answer for what purpose this test at home in microwave,

Offline billnotgatez

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +223/-62
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2014, 02:33:57 AM »
I am curious as well
The person originally posted left after I posted without comment or thank you.
Peracetc acid may be stronger than Acetic acid or Hydrogen peroxide  as a cleaner / disinfectant but it is more dangerous as well. Why bother for home use.
Maybe they will return and let us know what the use will be.

Offline xchcui

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2014, 08:19:06 AM »
Thanks for your replies.I didn't go anywhere :)

You are right,Arkon,and this is the way things should be:food separate from chemicals.
But i am going to do that action at my home and i have only one microwave that i am using for heating our food.
So,if there even the smallest chance that some toxic materials will be stayed in the micro and after that will absorb our food,i,probably,won't take that chance.
Billnotgatez,The article at wiki was interest,indeed,because i just now understand that i made,actually,peracetic acid.
I am going to make copper acetate electrolyte by immerse pure copper inside.
Arkon,you suggested to wash out the microwave when i am done.
Do you mean to clean the inside of the microwave with wet cloth?(with gloves?)what i am,actually,wash out?the toxic fumes that condensed at side panels?or this is to prevent corrosion from the microwave,as i understand from wiki that peracetic is very corrosive.What is ,actually,going on in the microwave in the microwave space during heating that solution?

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2014, 09:34:14 AM »
Peracetic acid is - relatively - harmless, as it will decompose itself (it is even used for disinfection in some food industries). Note that at best you will produce very small amount.

Copper is definitely a different thing, better don't mix it with kitchen utensils at all, especially if you are trying to oxidize it to make soluble salts.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Online Hunter2

• Mole Snacks: +168/-48
  • Vena Lausa moris pax drux bis totis
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2014, 08:04:29 PM »
I am going to make copper acetate electrolyte by immerse pure copper inside.

I think for this you dont need the microwave. You mix the solutions and add some copper and leave it some hours  for itself. You will obtain a green solution of copper acetate.

Offline xchcui

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2014, 03:20:35 AM »
I will,probably,leave it for some hours for itself,if it will give the same results,(though maybe more slowly). :-\
But i would like to understand the issue.
On the one hand you said that it is,relatively,harmless,but on the other hand you adviced to wash up carefully the microwave.(only for precaution?).
I know that some kind of fumes will be create at the process of the heating.
But what kind of substance does,actually,stay in the microwave after the heating process?what i am,actually need to wash up?
So,i didn't understand if this heating is not recommended or it is ok?
And regard to the microwave itself:
Can the fumes damage the microwave?as the fumes can go through the small round holes in the panels and,maybe corrode the electronic components?(i understand that the peracetic acid is very corrosive).

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2014, 03:53:31 AM »
on the other hand you adviced to wash up carefully the microwave.(only for precaution?).

Yes, better safe than sorry.

But what kind of substance does,actually,stay in the microwave after the heating process?what i am,actually need to wash up?

All four - water, hydrogen peroxide, acetic acid, peracetic acid.

And regard to the microwave itself:
Can the fumes damage the microwave?as the fumes can go through the small round holes in the panels and,maybe corrode the electronic components?(i understand that the peracetic acid is very corrosive).

Corrosion is a risk. I don't think it would matter much if you do the experiment once or just a few times, but doing it often would definitely shorten life of your microwave.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline xchcui

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2014, 08:14:01 AM »
Thanks alot for your help :)
In short,i understand that i make weak peracetic acid that,in my case relative harmless,but i need to take precaution if i use it in the microwave.I hope(as hanter2 suggested)that it will turn to copper acetate after some hours without needing the microwave,as this will solve my problem and my worry.
Thanks again :)

Sponsored Links