April 19, 2024, 03:15:52 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Allotropes of sulfur  (Read 2697 times)

Offline münchen86

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Allotropes of sulfur
« on: February 21, 2014, 12:54:05 PM »
If I buy commerercial available sulfur from a vendor (e.g. Sigma etc.), does it contain only S8? Or also S6, S7, S...?
I would like to investigate pure S8, but I do not know how to get it.

Offline münchen86

sulfur monocrystals
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2014, 08:43:11 AM »
I would like to investigate monocrystals of orthorhombic sulfur. Where can I get it? Is it commercially available?

Offline münchen86

monocrystals
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2014, 01:14:31 PM »
Is it possible to buy monocrystals (e.g. of orthorhombic sulfur) or is it more common to prepare it in the laboratory?

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: Allotropes of sulfur
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2014, 01:42:42 PM »
Say münchen86:, I hope you don't mind my merging your few topics, across multiple boards, into one thread.  You seem to as the same question again and again, and I'm sorry you haven't had a response so far.  I'll try to help get us started, even if this isn't an area of expertise for me.

I would bet the product sold does have traces of other allotropes of sulfur in it, instead of just S8.  And if you re-crystallize from the appropriate solvent, the crystals you get will likely be the correct allotrope and crystalline form.  Wikipedia says the form is stable, but I do know that sulfur will change its allotropes on its own.  So I can't say for sure how long it will last.

I'm left wondering what your exact application is -- how much of a trace of allotrope impurity is acceptable, and why.  It may be that your application is too esoteric, or even not possible.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Sponsored Links