April 29, 2024, 07:05:01 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Cutting Back on Time Spent on Lab Reports  (Read 2270 times)

Offline Parlop

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Cutting Back on Time Spent on Lab Reports
« on: February 22, 2014, 10:24:23 PM »
Hi guys,
I'm writing this post on behalf of my boyfriend, actually. He is taking Orgo 2 in college. He recently got a low grade on his first lab of the semester and he's trying really hard to make up for it. The thing is, he spends almost the entire weekend writing a single lab report! So, he doesn't have any time for any of his other classes or, more importantly, ME!  >:(
I'm wondering if you guys might have some tips that can help him be more efficient at writing these reports. I guess it's not the sort of thing you can just crank out, but I bet you guys will have some awesome tips for him! Thanks so much for saving our relationship from organic chemistry!  :D

Offline discodermolide

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +405/-70
    • My research history
Re: Cutting Back on Time Spent on Lab Reports
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2014, 11:24:07 PM »
Get organised.
Make a previous report into a template (I assume they all have the same format), so all you need to do is put in the new content.
While the experiment is running do those parts of the report that can be done.
Other than that it's not hard.
Development Chemists do it on Scale, Research Chemists just do it!
My Research History

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2014, 10:01:18 AM »
It'd help to know what the lab reports look like.  How much does do you have to answer, what do you have to write, and like dicodermolide: said, how organized the work is beforehand.  Also, I'm hoping you're using a word processor, so you can build a template, and work off it for the next report.  Also, I'm sad to say, Organic Chemistry, as I recall, did tend to make college relationships suffer -- its lots of work, and students are often unprepared for the volume compared to previous courses.  Well, the relationship can get all the attention it needs, but grades suffer, that happened to people also.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline curiouscat

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +121/-35
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2014, 01:23:45 PM »
Can you post a lab report he wrote? Or ones he got low grades for.

We could give some concrete suggestions then.

Offline doughpat

• Mole Snacks: +2/-0
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2014, 10:01:19 PM »
Curiouscat's suggestion is good...I'd also like to know more about the specifics of what his time is spent doing.  Is it research?  Data processing?  Formatting?  Typing? While we're on that topic:  does he type quickly?  I find it amazing how many people in the 'digital-native' age range (whatever you want to call it...lets say >30) can't type properly.  Is he 'hunting and pecking'?  Learning to type properly (i.e. 'home row') is a huge time-saver in the end!

Specific suggestions need more information to be given.

Sponsored Links