April 23, 2024, 04:25:19 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: 2,6 alkylation of phenols  (Read 5718 times)

Offline limpet chicken

• mad scientist
  • Mole Snacks: +49/-27
  • Vote Limpet for supreme emperor of the new order
2,6 alkylation of phenols
« on: March 12, 2006, 10:16:15 PM »
I have a synthesis I would like to attempt, but how to go about it, I wish to alkylate phenol, at a pinch would do, in both the 2- and 6- positions, I initially thought friedel-crafts, but that is ortho/meta/para directing, any pointers as to how to go about it? as I really haven't a clue on this one ???
The light blinds
So behold darkness as our new light
In our darkness we can see
So with others blindness
We take flight.

Offline Donaldson Tan

• Editor, New Asia Republic
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +261/-13
    • New Asia Republic
Re:2,6 alkylation of phenols
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2006, 02:34:04 PM »
positions 2 and 6 are essentially the same thing, beside the alpha carbon where the hydroxyl group is attached to. the 2 and 6 positions fall under the ortho-position.

unfortunataly,  the hydroxyl functional group is electron withdrawing, so it is is meta-directing.  meta refers to position 4 for your information.

an alternate method is to add an hydroxyl group to a benzene ring that has a ortho-para directing functional group attached to it, eg. methyl benzene. the methyl group is electron-donating, so it is ortho-para directing.

in the case of methyl benzene, convert it into a diazonium salt, then hydrate the diazonium salt. This will replace the diazonium group with with -OH.
"Say you're in a [chemical] plant and there's a snake on the floor. What are you going to do? Call a consultant? Get a meeting together to talk about which color is the snake? Employees should do one thing: walk over there and you step on the friggin� snake." - Jean-Pierre Garnier, CEO of Glaxosmithkline, June 2006

Offline Will

• Organic Dude
  • Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +58/-2
Re:2,6 alkylation of phenols
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2006, 06:57:20 PM »
I thought in most cases the hydroxyl group is ortho-/para- directing in practice because it makes addition-elimination reactions at these positions a lot easier. Also, it isn't electron withdrawing becasue the oxygen's lone pairs join in with the conjugated system, making e- density higher at the ortho-/para- positions. I found a website which explains it quite well here (although it is a bit basic): http://www.chemguide.co.uk/organicprops/phenol/ring.html

How would you avoid the para- substitution? (Sorry if this is too much organic chemistry for the citizen chemist forum!)

Sponsored Links