April 28, 2024, 01:29:33 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: orbitals  (Read 2133 times)

Offline Mary1984

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
orbitals
« on: February 24, 2014, 02:07:50 PM »
Can anybody answer this question please?
The sp3 hybrid orbitals
A. are part of the innermost first shell
B. are fusions of the 1s, 2s, and 2p orbitals
C. are fusions of the 2s and 2p orbitals
D. can contain as many as 6 electrons

Offline TheUnassuming

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +48/-1
Re: orbitals
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2014, 02:16:38 PM »
Again you might want to read the forum rules as this (and your other post) look suspiciously like a homework questions and you need to show us you have done more legwork. 

So to start, what do you know about sp3 orbitals?
When in doubt, avoid the Stille coupling.

Offline Mary1984

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2014, 02:23:33 PM »
Again you might want to read the forum rules as this (and your other post) look suspiciously like a homework questions and you need to show us you have done more legwork. 

So to start, what do you know about sp3 orbitals?

Sorry for that. I read all the chapter but I can't realize the correct answer. All I know is that there are different orbits around an atom depends on the number of electrons and the maximum number of electrons in each orbit can be 2. S means spherical orbit, so we have 2 electrons in that. p3 means p orbits in x,y,z direction. But I really don't understand the question. That is my problem,

Offline TheUnassuming

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +48/-1
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2014, 02:33:36 PM »
No worries, ok so you know what an S orbital is and a P orbital.  When they talk about SPx orbitals they are talking about orbital hybridization, which is where the S and P orbitals combine to form SPx orbitals. 

Does that at all sound familiar from your chapter or lecture?
When in doubt, avoid the Stille coupling.

Offline orgopete

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +213/-71
    • Curved Arrow Press
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2014, 02:42:19 PM »
Hint, I am presuming you have read that hybridization is an hypothetical mixing of orbitals at EACH shell.
A) How many electrons are in the first shell? Are any of these electrons, p-electrons?
B) Are inner electrons part of valence electrons?
C) This could have been confusing as it was meant to understand it to be the electrons of the second shell. Silicon, phosphorous, sulfur, and chlorine can presumably have hybridized electrons.
D) Take C, N, O, and F. Add up the number of valence electrons in stable molecules, CH4, etc. How many electrons.

I am hoping by a process of elimination you can understand which electron/orbitals are being mixed to give hybrid orbitals.
Author of a multi-tiered example based workbook for learning organic chemistry mechanisms.

Sponsored Links