March 28, 2024, 06:36:21 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Ionic polymerisation  (Read 2739 times)

Offline Ingeniosuccinimide

• Mole Snacks: +2/-2
Ionic polymerisation
« on: March 20, 2014, 11:32:48 AM »
Are there some compounds which are used in industry or research as a cationic polymerization inhibitors? I have one reaction where the polymer unfortunately forms and I'm trying to find a way to stop that. I tried changing the solvent and reaction temperature, but without efect. Now, I know for radical polymerization inhibitors, but was unable to find any ionic inibitor..

Offline TheUnassuming

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +48/-1
Re: Ionic polymerisation
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2014, 09:36:43 PM »
So radical inhibitors like BHT ect are basically sacrificial molecules that react with any radicals that formed in solution.  I think it's possible to have a cationic poly inhibitor, but need more info to brain storm with.  What are your substrates/reaction/conditions?
When in doubt, avoid the Stille coupling.

Offline Ingeniosuccinimide

• Mole Snacks: +2/-2
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2014, 04:49:50 AM »
I heard for radical polymerization inhibitors, but not for ionic polymerization ones, that's the problem. The reaction I'm doing is done in CH2Cl2, and this is the assumed mechanism (attachment, sorry for bad pic).

Basically I have a bunch of thiiranes that should not react With each other but With another substrate. And I don't know how to prevent that.

Offline TheUnassuming

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +48/-1
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2014, 10:04:56 AM »
I've been reading through literature and racking my brain but I can't come up with a compound that would serve your purpose well. 
The only thing I can think of is simply using concentration to make the side reaction less likely. 
When in doubt, avoid the Stille coupling.

Sponsored Links