March 28, 2024, 05:27:24 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Interested in chemistry?  (Read 3610 times)

Offline amir1091

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Interested in chemistry?
« on: February 27, 2014, 12:42:34 PM »
I'm a senior in high school and lately I've found myself genuinely interested in chemistry. Last year I had chemistry in school but I never really paid attention, but now I like reading about all sorts of stuff about chemistry and I might want to try and study it in college.

Do you have any advice? Is it too late for me to get into chemistry?

Offline kriggy

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +135/-16
Re: Interested in chemistry?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2014, 03:53:37 PM »
Well one of my friend was on high school with economic focus and shes getting bachelors this year so everything is possible. Since you are still in high school I see no problem at all.

Offline Spazcat

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
  • Aspiring Chemist
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2014, 12:16:04 AM »
If you're genuinely interested in Chemistry, go for it!

Those that are actually interested in Chem usually end up being the best in the class, a lot of people do Chem for pre-requisites, but if you just want to learn all about Chemistry you will do really well.

Good luck!

Offline alvacado

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2014, 11:25:50 PM »
Just follow your interest kid! It's never too late if you are really interested in Chemistry, good luck!

Offline orgo814

• Mole Snacks: +11/-6
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2014, 10:28:33 PM »
I found the pre-meds typically do the best.. some of the chem majors actually did the worst (which I found strange).

My advice: You don't know until you try! But, know what you're getting into ahead of time. General Chemistry (the first year course in chemistry) is typically not too difficult in terms of material. The hardest part for freshmen is adjusting to how professor's teach and test at a university level- you are expected to work very independently instead of the typical "spoon feeding". The exams are more application based rather than regurgitation of what was written on the board or on the powerpoint. Basically, do the problems on the syllabus and read the book using the professor's lectures as simply a "supplement". But, you have a lot to learn about chemistry.. organic, physical, analytical, advanced inorganic are very different from the material taught in high school. But again- you don't know until you try. After your first year in chemistry you generally will know if you like the stuff or if you just thought you did.

Sponsored Links