April 25, 2024, 06:57:28 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: What's grad school like?  (Read 5873 times)

Offline Kilgore Trout

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
What's grad school like?
« on: March 02, 2014, 07:10:26 PM »
So what's it like to be a graduate student in chem or biochem? What did you have a harder time with - being an undergrad or grad? I'd definitely like to hear your experiences as I'll be on my way soon.

A few grads from my research lab say it is a little easier in terms of the amount of classes you take because you don't have full load like an undergrad. But they say teaching makes it hard because it takes up a lot of their time.

Offline Kilgore Trout

Re: What's grad school like?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2014, 07:11:17 PM »
Here is a real downer about grad school. made me feel bad for this guy. . http://chemjobber.blogspot.com/2013/01/is-graduate-school-in-chemistry-bad-for.html

Offline curiouscat

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +121/-35
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2014, 10:29:33 PM »
Long hours. Far off goal with not much feedback in between. Independence. Free pizza. Gallons of coffee. A high when something works out. Bouts of self doubt.

Offline Corribus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +530/-23
  • A lover of spectroscopy and chocolate.
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2014, 12:28:02 PM »
The negatives definitely outweight the positives. It's a long road and not suitable for everyone. But if you like science and research, it's a hoop of fire you pretty much have to jump (or climb very, very, very slowly) through.
What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?  - Richard P. Feynman

Offline Chymst

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2014, 01:44:00 PM »
Before I applied to grad school, I made sure I applied to institutions where there were at least 2 profs whose research I liked. Then I visited the schools where I was accepted. Many schools will give you a small stipend to visit (it's been many years now, so that may have changed). At one school I visited the students said, "DON'T COME HERE".

The teaching part can take up lots of your time, but check with the graduate school you are applying to. Many have only a 1 year teaching requirement. Larger institutions move you onto research stipends once your teaching requirement is met.  Ask students when you visit or email them.

You might try visiting phds.org to do some of your research.  Good luck.

Offline 408

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +103/-30
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2014, 07:23:26 PM »
I had a great time. 

Shitty money though. 

Postdoc was the opposite.  Shitty time with great money. 

Offline Kilgore Trout

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2014, 09:34:32 PM »
I'd like to continue with my masters where I'm getting my BS in biochem at. Two reasons mainly: I've been doing synthetic ochem research there and want to continue along the same path for my graduate years. Also, my professor is a good guy - we get along just fine. I like what I do and where I'm at.

But from bigger universities i always hear of grad students having a painful time during their grad years. My lab professor said the same thing. In fact, he said he felt miserable. That sucks :(

Oh well. Time to bite the bullet!

Offline Kilgore Trout

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2014, 09:36:15 PM »
another reason why i'd like to get my master's is cause i'd like to have an ochem type of job in the future. But If that doesn't work out...well i guess I'll ask the guy who replaces El Chapo if he needs a cook.

haha, j/k.

Sponsored Links