April 26, 2024, 01:50:49 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: How to identify nickel plated?  (Read 13977 times)

Offline xchcui

• Mole Snacks: +1/-5
How to identify nickel plated?
« on: March 08, 2014, 01:25:28 PM »
Hi.
I read in the net that the nickel has silver white color with a slight golden tinge.but it is,still, very difficult for me to identify it.It can be shine it can be brush it looks to me like shine stainless steel or silver.The easiest method that i find to identify it is by pour one drop of 10% ammonia on cotton wool follow by one drop of 1% of dimethylglyoxime(DMG),rub it 15 seconds on the object.If the cotton wool turn pink or red,it is mean that the item contain nickel.
Can i identify nickel plated item with the same method but with simple chemicals that we have at home?
(like regular cleaners agents,detergents and ect.that we have at home?)
Thanks in advance.

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: How to identify nickel plated?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2014, 01:36:25 PM »
With practice, jewelers and other plating experts can tell a metal by its color.  So with practice you can too.  You also seem to know the spot test for nickel, so that's good too.  Now you want to know if the item is plated nickel, or solid.  Perhaps you can tell by the density?  Beyond that, there's no simple home test for various metals.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline xchcui

• Mole Snacks: +1/-5
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2014, 03:07:38 AM »
Thanks Arkon.
When i look at a plated chrome,plated nickel and plated zink(for example) in the photos in the net while they arrange one next to another,i can see the differece very clear.But in practice,it is very difficult to identify the nickel plating when it is matte or even shine.I read that the nickel plated should looks yellowish(tinge) while the plated chrome is bluish(tinge)but it is still difficult to see it in practice .Even my stainless steel spoon so shine and looks the same color and tinge like my nickel plated hangers.
I read about the spot test,but it is not easy for me to find ammonia and DMG in my place so i wondered if i can do the test with simple material that we have in general at home.But you say it is not possible and that is pity :(

Offline vmelkon

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +28/-10
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2014, 07:19:38 AM »
Nickel plating have yellow tinge?
Our canadian 5, 10, 25 cents are nickel plated (year 2000 and after) and they look like chromium to me.

Put it in HCl. If it doesn't react, it is nickel. If it reacts, it is chromium or so I've heard. I don't know the rate of reaction.

Another test would be to do electrolysis in H2SO4. The acid turns green. Both Ni2+ and Cr3+ are green. Add ammonia and the Ni2+ complexes to make a blue solution

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLoDRwVXSVI

Offline Hunter2

• Mole Snacks: +166/-48
  • Vena Lausa moris pax drux bis totis
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2014, 08:38:45 AM »
Put it in HCl. If it doesn't react, it is nickel. If it reacts, it is chromium or so I've heard. I don't know the rate of reaction.

This will not work. Nickel will be attacked by acids easily. The described method with ammonia is more better.

Sponsored Links