March 28, 2024, 09:12:28 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: NSF Fellowship  (Read 2033 times)

Offline Tetrakis107

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
NSF Fellowship
« on: April 13, 2014, 05:49:19 PM »
Hi all,

I'm set to graduate from college next month and will start my Ph.D program in the fall. I want to apply for an NSF fellowship but have some questions.

First, I know that I will have to present an "original" research topic. I intended to work on a project that was thought of by my advisor. Moreover, this project has been going on for some time now. It is and has been worked on by previous and current grad students. Does this mean I have to think of something completely new and different from anything that's been done?

Second, it requires 3 letters of recommendation. Do most people use the same recommenders that they used to get into grad school? I would like to get one from my future boss, but I will not be a member of his lab when I apply.

Any tips would be appreciated.

Offline SDVENHI

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Re: NSF Fellowship
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2014, 02:10:11 AM »
Q1:  There must be topics within the project that remain unsolved or to be explored.  Tackling them in a way that shows original thinking maybe a way to approach this..
Q2: The same recommendations should be OK. Your prospective boss accepted you in his group for a reason, so I would think that asking him is a good idea.  He should have an opinion about the appropriateness of his writing a letter for someone that will work for him (basically, he is an interested party on your getting the grant)  What has he said about it?

Sponsored Links