April 28, 2024, 10:39:33 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Mass spectrometry - What elements give M+3 peaks?  (Read 2654 times)

Offline DoctorDomo

• Mole Snacks: +2/-4
Mass spectrometry - What elements give M+3 peaks?
« on: March 12, 2014, 09:47:07 AM »
I was looking through mass spec interpretation examples, and I saw one with an M+3 peak. All the isotopic abundance tables I've seen show M+1 and M+2 peaks, first time I've seen M+3. Is this a rare thing to have an M+3 isotope in reasonable abundance? What are the main elements which have common M+3 isotopes?

Offline DoctorDomo

Mass spec - What happens if you have 2 molecular ions?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2014, 02:19:20 PM »
I see that bromine has two naturally occuring isotopes of near equal abundance, so when you look for the molecular ion on a spectrum containing bromine, you see something like this:

at the end of the spectrum. Which peak is the molecular ion? Is it the one containing the isotope with the lowest atomic mass?

Side question: What is the small peak at the very end of the spectrum? What could cause this M+3 peak? Heres the compound for this mass spectrum:

Br and N don't have any isotopes that could make that peak. Could it be due to a molecule containing both 81Br and 15N? Yeah that makes sense, if both of those bromine isotopes are equally abundant, then your gonna get equal amounts of each compound and its 15N isotope.

Offline DoctorDomo

Re: Mass spectrometry - What elements give M+3 peaks?
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2014, 02:25:09 PM »
EDIT: I posted this before seeing that my threads were merged so I probably didn't say anything new in this reply.

I figured it out. Its something you probably only see in spectra with a bromine atom. Since bromines common isotopes occur in a near 50:50 ratio, whatever smaller peak you see beside the molecular ion peak, you'll see the same thing beside the 81Br peak.

Sponsored Links