April 23, 2024, 12:56:03 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: SNR2 Radical Mechanism  (Read 2594 times)

Offline oscillate_wildly1

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
SNR2 Radical Mechanism
« on: March 17, 2014, 12:10:17 PM »
Hi,

So all reaction schemes of the SNR2 mechanism of benzylhalides show an intermediate radial anion being formed before radical benzene and the halide anion. I want to know how this is possible in terms of curly arrow mechanisms. I've attached what I think is going on, but it doesn't go through the radical anion. Any insights into the mechanism would be greatly appreciated!

Here's what I have:

Offline discodermolide

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +405/-70
    • My research history
Re: SNR2 Radical Mechanism
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2014, 12:15:59 PM »
Effectively your mechanism goes through that intermediate. All it is showing is that an electron has been added to the system giving a radical anion (generic). Now the next step is the formation of that benzene radical and iodide.
Can you draw the resonance forms for the stabilisation of the radical?
Development Chemists do it on Scale, Research Chemists just do it!
My Research History

Offline oscillate_wildly1

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2014, 12:58:00 PM »
Thanks for the reply!

So the intermediate shown in text books is misleading (and possibly wrong?), since a radical anion technically isn't formed whilst benzene is covalently bonded to iodine? Because the iodine-benzene bond breaks in the first step, so a radical anion is never formed, unless another electron is introduced into the system?

Here's what I have for the resonance stabilisation forms:

Offline discodermolide

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +405/-70
    • My research history
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2014, 02:01:24 PM »
No, the intermediate is OK.
Development Chemists do it on Scale, Research Chemists just do it!
My Research History

Offline orgopete

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +213/-71
    • Curved Arrow Press
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2014, 05:51:09 PM »
Thanks for the reply!

So the intermediate shown in text books is misleading (and possibly wrong?), since a radical anion technically isn't formed whilst benzene is covalently bonded to iodine? Because the iodine-benzene bond breaks in the first step, so a radical anion is never formed, unless another electron is introduced into the system?

Here's what I have for the resonance stabilisation forms:

I don't agree with these resonance structures. The intermediate radical anion was okay. That radical can shift. I suggest drawing in the hydrogen atoms so you won't be confused with what is and is not present. I think once the iodide leaves, a single electron radical can be drawn at its position. Shifting that radical will leave a linear sp-carbon in the ring. I don't think that will happen.
Author of a multi-tiered example based workbook for learning organic chemistry mechanisms.

Sponsored Links