March 28, 2024, 08:20:48 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: voltage-gated channels  (Read 3277 times)

Offline 2004019

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
voltage-gated channels
« on: March 23, 2014, 04:36:36 AM »
HI everyone can anyone help me with this question?
Summarise the structural properties that are distinguishing features of the superfamily of voltage-gated channels. Draw a diagram to show representative transmembrane topologies of a KV channel and a NaV channel, and identify on each the locations of different domains responsible for channel functions. How does the conserved pattern of amino acid sequence in the S4 domain correlate with its functional role in regulating ion channel activity? What effect would you predict for the NaV channel if some of the conserved S4 amino acids were altered by mutation to nonpolar amino acids?
i am so confuse....

Offline Babcock_Hall

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +319/-22
Re: voltage-gated channels
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2014, 08:44:53 AM »
It is a forum rule that you must show your attempt before we can help you.  What do you know about the structures of these channels?

Offline Babcock_Hall

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +319/-22
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2014, 12:00:17 PM »
Many integral membrane proteins have membrane-spanning alpha-helices.  Do you know whether these channels do, and if so, how many alpha-helices they have?

Offline Johte

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2014, 04:46:50 PM »
Do you have the crystal structures? It was a channel that got me into crystallography.

I don't know if this is breaking the aforementioned rule of not helping, look up DOI: 10.1038/nature01580

Sponsored Links