May 01, 2024, 03:48:01 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: NMR Question  (Read 2924 times)

Offline fredodgers

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
NMR Question
« on: March 17, 2014, 11:05:33 PM »
Hello everyone,

I am a bit confused on how to interpret the NMR I have attached.  I can tell that the right most hydrogen is farthest upfield and is a singlet, but how do I know where the rest of the hydrogens and the aromatic hydrogens go on the NMR?  Shouldn't the two hydrogens in the middle form two different signals with integration 1?  I cannot seem to find these, for instance. Further, I see  peaks  with an integration of 2.  However, I don't see any carbons with 2 hydrogens attached.  In general, it seems I am lost as to how to account for the ring structures.

Thank You

Offline Dan

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +469/-72
  • Organic Chemist
    • My research
Re: NMR Question
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2014, 04:05:47 AM »
Shouldn't the two hydrogens in the middle form two different signals with integration 1?  I cannot seem to find these, for instance.

Think about the splitting pattern and the magnitude of the coupling constant you expect. E-alkenes have a characteristic coupling constant that makes them quite easy to spot.

Further, I see  peaks  with an integration of 2.  However, I don't see any carbons with 2 hydrogens attached.

Consider/look up chemical equivalence.
My research: Google Scholar and Researchgate

Offline Babcock_Hall

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +322/-22
Re: NMR Question
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2014, 04:41:45 PM »
The methoxy group on one aromatic ring will have some predictable effects on the chemical shifts of the aromatic protons in that ring.

Sponsored Links