April 28, 2024, 12:22:06 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: pH dependence of redox potential  (Read 1848 times)

Offline Big-Daddy

• Mole Snacks: +28/-94
pH dependence of redox potential
« on: March 18, 2014, 07:39:35 PM »
I know that the redox couple MnO4-/Mn2+ is typically written MnO4- + 8H+ + 5e-  ::equil:: Mn2+ + 4H2O in acidic conditions and MnO4- + 4H2O + 5e-  ::equil:: Mn2+ + 8OH- in basic conditions. The second reaction is simply the first with the addition of 8Kw.

But then how is it admissible to add Kw so freely? I tried to analyse the redox potential of this couple as it varies based on pH, but I cannot come out with a decently consistent equation to express it. Based on the acidic-conditions reaction the Q term from the Nernst equation should be [Mn2+]/[MnO4-] * 1/[H+]8. But based on the basic-conditions reaction the Q term should be [Mn2+]/[MnO4-] * Kw8/[H+]8. This implies that a different method of calculating E (cell potential) would be needed based on conditions but this surely cannot be true as pH is continuous?

(Also, I am aware that in alkaline conditions Mn(OH)2 precipitates. I will factor that into my calculations later using the Ksp, in a method I am accustomed to. But please do not worry about it for the sake of this problem.)

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: pH dependence of redox potential
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2014, 07:44:30 PM »
MnO4- doesn't get reduced to Mn2+ in high pH, but to MnO42-.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline Big-Daddy

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2014, 01:57:25 PM »
Sure, that is the more stable reaction. But can't we work out E for the couple MnO4-/Mn2+ in the same way as before, regardless of pH? In fact it should be (barring for now the precipitation of the hydroxide) exactly the same reaction as before, so why am I getting the wrong expression for it in Q?

I had wanted to plot E against [H+] for this couple ...

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2014, 04:00:56 PM »
Check your math, you are doing a kindergarten mistake in your Q.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline Big-Daddy

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2014, 01:30:05 PM »
What is it? I can't see any? Looks like under acidic conditions Q = [Mn2+]/([MnO4-] * [H+]8) but under basic conditions Q = [Mn2+] * [OH-]8/[MnO4-] which is a fundamental contradiction because of the difference of the factor Kw8.

Sponsored Links