April 27, 2024, 06:13:08 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Recycling car battery acid...  (Read 3275 times)

Offline guinness68

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Recycling car battery acid...
« on: March 21, 2014, 02:48:53 AM »
 Why is the acid in car batteries neutralized instead of reused in another car battery? I am under the impression that free electrons move from one battery terminal to the other thru the acid. If this is true, then why not make car batteries with removable battery posts? I know eventually tiny 'dentrites' as my uncle calls them, will form bridges between the lead wafers in a battery, which causes slight voltage drops thru the life of a battery. BUT, IF, and it's a big IF, the spacing between these wafers was slightly greater, wouldn't this problem also be solved, or at least make it possible to replace the posts at least once or twice instead of throwing out batteries every 5-10 years?? Please don't be afraid to answer with big words. If I don't know them I can look them up. ;D

Offline Hunter2

• Mole Snacks: +167/-48
  • Vena Lausa moris pax drux bis totis
Re: Recycling car battery acid...
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2014, 10:07:23 AM »
All this things happened already. But too expensive. Its cheaper to use a new battery.

Edit: corrected spelling and homonym to :rarrow: too
« Last Edit: March 21, 2014, 10:56:22 AM by billnotgatez »

Offline guinness68

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2014, 11:03:51 AM »
"All this things happened already" ?? What exactly happened? I realize it is cheaper to buy a new battery, but do you want to build your home on the spot where a junk yard used to be, with all of those nasty chemicals that have leached into the ground for decades? It is NOT responsible to just throw things away. Have I picked the wrong group to join? Is this a typical response to help educate others??? 36 others have viewed this. How many of you knew the answer and didn't help? How many laughed at the ridiculous "answer" that was posted? It's a really good thing hunter2 is not my chemistry teacher- all of us would be doomed to fail chem 101 in college! Forget college, we'd all fail high school chemistry!

Offline Hunter2

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2014, 11:09:05 AM »
What do you want, decrease your temper. For the industry it is to expensive to have batteries what can be repared. It s easier to recycle the whole thing. Also todays batteries are sealed, an addition of distilled water or sulfuric acid is not possible anymore.

but do you want to build your home on the spot where a junk yard used to be, with all of those nasty chemicals that have leached into the ground for decades?

This would happen if your ideas are used, if you could remove lead plates by yourself.

Offline guinness68

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2014, 11:11:48 AM »
 The whole point to my question is that there should be a way to recycle the acid that does not involve neutralizing it. If it can't be used in batteries again, why not? What can it be used for?? I tried researching this online, but you either get ten thousand irrelevant results or nothing at all. No, I didn't go thru every result, just about 25 pages worth.

Offline Hunter2

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2014, 11:16:14 AM »
You can use the acid again why not. But it contains maybe to much Pb2+ and this need again expensive treatments with other chemicals. A neutralisation is the cheapest way. The waste has anyway to be dumped.

Offline billnotgatez

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +223/-62
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2014, 11:45:38 AM »
@guinness68
I do not think that Hunter2 is supporting any lack of recycling that is currently being done which appears not to be the case.

You should take the time to read WIKI
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lead%E2%80%93acid_battery#Environmental_concerns
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lead%E2%80%93acid_battery#Recycling
Lead–acid battery recycling is one of the most successful recycling programs in the world. In the United States 97% of all battery lead was recycled between 1997 and 2001. An effective pollution control system is a necessity to prevent lead emission. Continuous improvement in battery recycling plants and furnace designs is required to keep pace with emission standards for lead smelters.

Your statement of how polluting seems moot.
There is a suggestion if forum rules that you do some research on your own before you post here in this forum.

Your concerns for the environment should not stop, but in this case it may be better that you let professional certified recyclers handle your lead acid battery. Assuming your country has such entities.

Offline PSIL

• Very New Member
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2014, 09:48:42 PM »
Used car batteries still have significant value. There are many places that will purchase used batteries.

Sponsored Links