April 29, 2024, 09:38:29 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: What organic material can be used to retain alcohol?  (Read 6097 times)

Offline jadekungfu

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
What organic material can be used to retain alcohol?
« on: March 23, 2014, 10:24:35 AM »
I am making a new alcoholic sweet and the problem is the sugar keeps melting because of the alcohol. I discovered that this is mainly because of the moisture of the alcohol rather than its lower melting point.

This is not to say that the sweet cannot holds it shape if I follow the conventional 5:1 ratio of sugar to alcohol, but I need a stronger spike in the sweet, kind of like taking a shot of vodka straight up. Is there any other substance that I can use to retain the alcohol?

I have tried mixing at different temperatures, different speed of mixing and even trying different timing for the mixing of the ingredients.

I am right now trying protein based products like gelatine to hold the alcohol in without it melting the sugar, but so far it is not allowing the sweet to stay hard enough.  :-[

I would really appreciate if anyone can help me on this part as I have been going at it for months.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: What organic material can be used to retain alcohol?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2014, 01:46:09 PM »
I am making a new alcoholic sweet and the problem is the sugar keeps melting because of the alcohol.

Dissolving, not melting. These are two different processes.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2014, 02:04:11 PM »
Well, alcohol containing sweets are common enough commercially, and it really doesn't seem like too much of a trick.  Your alcohol filling will have to be diluted, say to no more than 30%, which is what we here in the US call 60 proof.  This is pretty much the highest content you'll find in whiskey, as an example.  You'll also want the candy shell to be denser, so experiment with how much sugar, how long you cook it (which causes the candy base to lose water,) and how thick you want it to be.  If you're using chocolate, you can try to see how much cocoa butter you want, to help the shell resist the alcohol better.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2014, 08:55:52 AM by Arkcon »
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline jadekungfu

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2014, 05:35:16 AM »
I have tried the different temperature and amount of sugar approach, but I need more alcohol and less moisture, is there a way to dehydrate the alcohol without it becoming poisonous.

Offline DrCMS

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +210/-81
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2014, 06:26:25 AM »
You alcohol filling will have to be diluted, say to no more than 30%, which is what we here in the US call 60 proof.  This is pretty much the highest content you'll find in whiskey, as an example.

You must be buying crap whiskey because typically whiskey is ~55-60% after aging; some is sold at that "cask strength" and the rest is diluted down to ~40-45% for sale.

Originally based on the test with gunpowder 100% proof = 4/7th alcohol or 57.15% alcohol

Offline jadekungfu

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2014, 06:26:59 PM »
So, can anyone help me here? Is there a medium that retain the alcohol without it dissolving the sugar?

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2014, 07:22:37 PM »
Well, I gave you a starting point, but you didn't care much for my idea.  You've gone off on a tangent that I don't think is such a great idea -- like DrCMS: said, drinking alcohol is 60-70%, perhaps 90% for really good vodka or 95% for Everclear.  Its not safe for people to drink pure ethanol -- its too dehydrating to tissues.  The alcohol filled candies I know of were often filled with weak alcohol solutions.  Its all about the flavor, not about making shots in a candy.  The candy shell had to be exceptionally thick as well.  The alcohol was in that case simply an tiny burst of flavor, not a large shot.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline jadekungfu

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2014, 08:33:08 PM »
Hey, sorry if I rub you the wrong way, no intention intended. I have tried all conventional means to make my sweets, but I want mine to stand out against the rest. Hence why I am looking to put more punch in it.

Offline billnotgatez

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +223/-62
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2014, 09:09:47 PM »
Let us step back for a second.
What ethanol beverage do you want to use?

Offline jadekungfu

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2014, 09:23:05 PM »
Vodka in particular, gin and rum are on the list. Bailey's was effective, which was why I hit on the concept of using protein based medium.

Offline billnotgatez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2014, 10:19:24 PM »
Well there are several 100 proof vodkas out there that would let the taste of the candy come through and not impart much of a taste of its own. But, although I like vodka, it can have a bite that may not be pleasant.
Gin has a flavor of its own which only the martini drinkers would like.
So, I was thinking a spiced 151 rum might be of interest.

My first thought was to create a starch composition and add the ethanol product after any cooking on the starch.
I would hope that the starch could be made tasty and then the spiced rum would add to it.
But, that would assume that the starch would absorb the rum and keep the sugars intact.

My food chemist friend who does not work with ethanol said it might be a good idea for you to research food stabilizers. There are many of them used in food products that could qualify for your needs. There are so many that food chemist cannot remember them all, so they have to research the stabilizers when they need a new one.

Those are my 2 shots at it (pun intended).

Food chemistry is complex specialized field so a definitive answer on this forum may be elusive.
There is a lot of trial and error testing in food chemisty.

Let us know how you do.

Offline jadekungfu

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2014, 12:24:50 AM »
Thanks for the reply ;D, I did not think of using stabilizers. I will get my hands on those and see how that works.

Offline billnotgatez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2014, 06:31:23 AM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Food_additive
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Food_chemistry

You might do some reading research first.

By the way
This discussion is close to the forum rule about not helping you hurt yourself or others
Since it is a general discussion on food chemistry I have let this thread continue.
But, you should read forum rules if you have not done so.

« Last Edit: March 27, 2014, 06:59:43 AM by billnotgatez »

Sponsored Links