April 28, 2024, 01:21:27 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Permanganometry problems  (Read 3122 times)

Offline valon.ajeti

• Mole Snacks: +0/-2
Permanganometry problems
« on: March 25, 2014, 02:12:55 PM »
Hello,

Since now I am facing difficulties in balancing equations on my permanganometry problems , I would like to request your help.
The issue is that on my problems I am given only cations and anions but not full compounds , meaning that I have a lack of ideas on how to get my equation straight and furthermore how to balance it.

If you could give me any suggestions or hints on how to know what is going on with the reactions , I would please you to advise me.

Just to illustrate , hereunder I am writing a description of one problem:

What is the Concentration of Permanganate Ion if there are spent 36.90cm3 Permanganate Ion , for titration of 250mg Na2C2O4?

(Of course I assume to have a reaction going on according to my clue)
And this is the true reaction according to which the problem is solved:

2MnO4- + 5H2C2O4 + 6H+ = 2Mn2+ + 10CO2 + 8H2O

Thank you for understanding.

V.A.

P.S. Sorry for my long question and pardon me since I am only in the beginning.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Permanganometry problems
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2014, 02:52:43 PM »
I am not sure what your problem is. What kind of equation do you want? The one you listed is perfectly valid and can be used for calculations.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline valon.ajeti

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2014, 03:02:14 PM »
Yes , the equation is correct. But my issue is that I do not understand the connection between the equation and the problem description - the equation uses Permangate Ion and Oxalic Acid but the description mentions Permangate Ion and Natrium Oxalate.

And this is the issue I have in general with Redox titrations problems. The description of the problem always mentions something else , and the equation is balanced with something else.

So if possible , please explain me any hints or rules that I could use to figure out these equations to solve the problem right.

Thank you.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2014, 03:09:47 PM »
What is the molar ratio of permanganate ion to potassium permanganate? What is the molar ratio of oxalate ion to sodium oxalate?
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline valon.ajeti

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2014, 03:16:45 PM »
Well , this is the issue - I do not know what is going on , because I find it very mixed. I just took this one example to illustrate my problem. My intention is not to solve this particular problem , but only to create an idea on how to look up these problems and arrange an equation good enough to solve them.

If you could just explain to me , how do you look up these sort of problems and how do you manage to arrange an equation (it can be any other problem , not this particular one) , I would be more than appreciative.

Thank you.

Sponsored Links