March 28, 2024, 08:29:29 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Open access journal on cannabis  (Read 4271 times)

Offline Archer

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +85/-20
Open access journal on cannabis
« on: March 29, 2014, 05:52:18 PM »
Hey guys,

This is a really interesting and balanced open access, special issue publication on the cannabinoids. Several peer reviewed papers on use, harms, benefits etc.

If you're interested in that kind of thing then I recommend a read. Also it's free!

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/dta.v6.1-2/issuetoc
“ I love him. He's hops. He's barley. He's protein. He's a meal. ”

Denis Leary.

Chrysalis

Re: Open access journal on cannabis
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2014, 11:58:22 PM »
Thanks for the link. I've been researching cannabinoids lately and this site was very useful!

Offline 408

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +103/-30
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2014, 12:45:38 AM »
Archer, you are the resident drug expert, so a pot question.  Hard to get a decent answer between the hardliner stoner "pot is great and cures cancer and creates kittens" and the anti drug "pot kills kittens and leads to you shooting up heroin with dirty hooker needles"...and I can't be bothered to go through the literature for hours for something of only tangential interest, but what i read on your link quickly verified my understanding.

My current understanding of the medical lit around it is that that there are some therapeutic uses for pain relief, but extended use does cause less dopamine and as such, lower levels of motivation. And additionally, it is being smoked, which brings very similar effects as tobacco, other than nicotine related stuff.  Correct?  or something you want to add?

Offline kriggy

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +135/-16
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2014, 05:20:54 AM »
You dont have to smoke it.
You can make cookies or extract it into alcohol to make pretty tasty alcoholic beverages. Or you can use vaporizer to heat the weed and then inhale the vapour of THC.
So you can easily lower the amounts of nicotine and smoking related stuff.
Anyway, I stopped smoking it like 3-4 years ago and dont regret it.
I think there is still lots of unknowns when it comes to marijuana just because its ilegal in most of the countries so I can see the lack of research (about 2500 papers since 2010 when search for THC in scifinder) but because THC is getting aproved for medical uses in more and more countries it will get better.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1799/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2014, 07:41:10 AM »
So you can easily lower the amounts of nicotine

What nicotine?
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline kriggy

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +135/-16
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2014, 08:59:21 AM »
I mean most of people here smoke it mixed with tobaco so there will be nicotine and other stuff present.

Offline Archer

• Chemist
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2014, 09:34:50 AM »
Archer, you are the resident drug expert, so a pot question.  Hard to get a decent answer between the hardliner stoner "pot is great and cures cancer and creates kittens" and the anti drug "pot kills kittens and leads to you shooting up heroin with dirty hooker needles"...and I can't be bothered to go through the literature for hours for something of only tangential interest, but what i read on your link quickly verified my understanding.

My current understanding of the medical lit around it is that that there are some therapeutic uses for pain relief, but extended use does cause less dopamine and as such, lower levels of motivation. And additionally, it is being smoked, which brings very similar effects as tobacco, other than nicotine related stuff.  Correct?  or something you want to add?

There are many therapeutic uses of cannabis, only one has passed clinical trials to the best of my knowledge and that is in the treatment of naturopathic pain and spasticity caused in Multiple Sclerosis.

There are many papers which allude to the fact that cannabis can be used to treat cancer or indeed numerous conditions, however for every one of these I can find one which shows equal or better efficacy from another natual product. These all tend to be in vitro testing which we all know is an inroad into further work but not definitive proof of in vivo efficacy.

There is one paper that I have seen which describes clinical treatment of Leukemia with cannabis, successfully reducing the blast cell count of an individual in the latter stages of the disease where all other forms of chemotherapy had failed. Sadly the patient still died and the massive doses of THC that they were taking are unimaginably high compared to a recreational dose. At one point they were administering the equivalent of 7.5 grams of cannabis (in the form of a concentrated extract) in a single dose!

http://www.karger.com/Article/Pdf/356446

Of course this is promising but those of us who understand these things realise the limitations of a study on a population size n=1.

The major trouble with cannabis as a medicine is that the route of administration is the all important factor. Smoking any drug which has euphoric properties is discouraged in the medical profession as it leads to misuse and addiction. This is why opium is no longer available in its raw state and is purified to morphine and numerous down stream products. Rapid onset of euphoria is preferably avoided so there are the options of eating or the use of an oromucosal spray. However some people claim that this does not work for them and only smoking works for them.

There is also evidence of a synergism between the cannabinoids and the essential oil of the plant. which complicates matters even further.

There is a common misconception that a the human endogenous cannabinoid system means that we are genetically predisposed to enjoy cannabis. On the contrary, the cannabinoid receports CB1 and CB2 were discovered after cannabis but before the endocrine cannabinoids, anadamide and 1-aracadonylglycerol. The naming is serendipitous. Much like the opiate receptors and in contrast to serotonin receptors which may have been called the MDMA receptors or the GABA receptors called the Benzodiazepine receptors.

To summerise, it is a promising medicine which most likely has even more potential yet to be realised. However there is always going to be controversy over the use of herbal material as a prescription medicine. Standardised extracts are available but the cost is very high compared to the standardised herbal material.

Denis Leary.

Offline Archer

• Chemist
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2014, 04:28:36 PM »
I found another clinical paper on cancer therapy with cannabis

http://www.nature.com/bjc/journal/v95/n2/pdf/6603236a.pdf

Interesting read.

Denis Leary.