March 29, 2024, 09:27:39 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Refining HCL, Making Etchant.  (Read 19253 times)

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1799/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Refining HCL, Making Etchant.
« Reply #30 on: April 07, 2014, 07:42:21 AM »
Yes I made a mistake with one percentage - honestly I should have spent an extra few seconds with a calculator instead of typing off the top of my head.

Please recheck your calculations. I believe even after you correct what you think your error is, you will still not get the correct result.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline BigJohnny

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #31 on: April 07, 2014, 08:27:45 AM »
I assumed you got it.

I mostly do now, I understood the process of what's happening in the video, just not what the resulting end products would be. Now I know that it is a weaker, but more pure acid correct??

This leaves me with the question of; If I was able to purchase high strength/lab grade/pure/etc (not sure what it would be called) as would be used in a true scientific environment by licensed people, how strong would that acid be??

IE, are actual chemists able to purchase 100% HCL, or does that even exist?

What impurities would be in a bottle muriatic acid?? I figured it would be just acid and water.

If I boiled/distilled this muriatic acid, what would I end up with?? (No, I don't think I'll be doing this, just curious)

At this point my original topic has pretty much become moot, but now I'm very curious about this subject.

Offline Tittywahah

• Mole Snacks: +4/-2
« Reply #32 on: April 07, 2014, 08:42:48 AM »
The impurities in HCl vary
 For trace metal analysis there are around 30 impurities but their amounts are extremely small indeed. Then you have lab quality impurities, about anywhere between 20-30, once again impurities are kept to between 0.001 up to 0.1 parts per million.
Impurities can consist of so many chemicals that I care not to list them all, but these are acceptable under the above circumstances and are I Presume? a natural consequence of the manufacture under the strictest conditions.
One example is chlorine, that is not in a product of lab quality, but in a lesser quality it can be 2ppm, this is one of many examples.  But for etching, no need to worry about this at all.

36% - 38% at a specific gravity of 1.16 to 1.18 is considered the de facto standard concentration for most purposes.  But as for the professional scientists and their work, I have no idea what is possible.  We do not use the term muriatic here in Europe, I presume it is American, you certainly would never find it for sale to the general public in a store.

I have never distilled HCl but heated up on a number of times in order to concentrate a particular reaction, for example making ferric chloride, heating gently will of course evaporate water, no harm in this, but I would never boil it.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1799/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #33 on: April 07, 2014, 09:02:23 AM »
I mostly do now, I understood the process of what's happening in the video, just not what the resulting end products would be. Now I know that it is a weaker, but more pure acid correct??

Weaker and purer in one jar, weaker and containing all original impurities in the other, yes.

This leaves me with the question of; If I was able to purchase high strength/lab grade/pure/etc (not sure what it would be called) as would be used in a true scientific environment by licensed people, how strong would that acid be??

IE, are actual chemists able to purchase 100% HCL, or does that even exist?

No, the strongest stock HCl available is around 38%. That's because at this concentration it becomes so volatile it doesn't want to stay in the solution. It is possible to prepare more concentrated solutions using increased pressure, but then even just storing the acid requires pressure resistant bottles.

What impurities would be in a bottle muriatic acid?? I figured it would be just acid and water.

Depends on how the acid was made. Typically there will be some dissolved salts and whatever was present in the water used for preparation, as technical acid is not made using distilled water.

If I boiled/distilled this muriatic acid, what would I end up with?? (No, I don't think I'll be doing this, just curious)

Distillation is another way of purifying and concentrating the acid. I am not sure about exact numbers (and too lazy to check them), but you won't get past 38 or 40% (40+?) for reasons stated earlier.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline discodermolide

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +405/-70
    • My research history
« Reply #34 on: April 07, 2014, 09:26:48 AM »
If I may chip in, the term muriatic acid = hydrochloric acid is still used in Europe.
it means pertaining to brine or salt.
Development Chemists do it on Scale, Research Chemists just do it!
My Research History

Offline BigJohnny

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #35 on: April 07, 2014, 09:29:17 AM »
wow, a wealth of excellent information has been put forth here.

Tittywahah: Muriatic acid is just what they call it here I guess, another name is pool acid. It's also used for cleaning concrete and stuff, so that's why it's publicly available.

What I didn't realize is how close to 'full strength' it actually was.

it wouldn't be hard to evaporate 6% of the water out, but the dangers of having it build pressure are far too great to even attempt anything like that home.

However I now have a far greater understanding of this subject than when I first made the post.

Sponsored Links