April 28, 2024, 05:36:35 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: sodium acetate reaction problem  (Read 5387 times)

Offline smithbryanf2

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
sodium acetate reaction problem
« on: April 09, 2014, 04:11:19 PM »
Hi guys, I'm trying to make sodium acetate by reacting store bought acetic acid(5% acidity) and baking soda.  After the reaction, I boiled off the water.  I was left with chunks of what I believe what pure sodium acetate.

My problem is that I reacted a chunk of my homemade sodium acetate with sulphuric acid and get a vigorous reaction with bubbles.  However, when I react sodium acetate that I bought online with sulphuric acid, I don't see a visible reaction. 

Any idea what's going on?

Offline billnotgatez

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +223/-62
Re: sodium acetate reaction problem
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2014, 10:10:41 PM »
Out of curiosity
Do you just pour acetic acid(5% acidity) on the baking soda?
How much acetic acid(5% acidity) and baking soda did you use?
Did you test the pH after the combining but before the drying?
What is the source of the sulfuric acid.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2014, 03:03:22 AM »
Most likely amount of acetic acid used was too low, try to use a substantial excess.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2014, 06:56:04 AM »
There was another thread on this topic.  http://www.chemicalforums.com/index.php?topic=69845.0  See if that thread has some insights for you.  You can ask more questions along those lines.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline smithbryanf2

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2014, 12:27:20 PM »
I added the baking soda into the acetic acid.  The acid was in a pan, and I added the baking soda to it.  I used 1 gallon of acetic acid, and I used quite a bit of baking soda.  I assume that there was still acetic acid in excess when I dried it because by the time I ran out of baking soda, the mixture was still reacting.  I didn't test the acidity of the mixture before trying.

I used regular rooto plumber sulphuric acid from ace hardware.

Offline smithbryanf2

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2014, 12:46:21 PM »
another thought.  though i'm reasonably sure I don't have excess sodium carbonate, if i wanted to check, could I just react regular acetic acid with a crystal?  If i get a reaction, then there's sod. carb.  if not, pure sodium acetate.

Offline Tittywahah

• Mole Snacks: +4/-2
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2014, 02:16:55 PM »
Ok just a couple of things, don't want to put my foot in it....firstly I made sodium acetate anhydrous about a year ago and I have plenty left so I just put some into my 1.8M solution of H2SO4.  It fizzed and bubbled.  So I do not see a problem.  Secondly, I assume you used the clear vinegar and not that horrible brown stuff?  Thirdly, it may well have been a typo but just in case, Baking soda is sodium bicarbonate, not carbonate which you would Not want to add to Grandma's cakes.  Using One gallon (4.54 litres) of vinegar would require a good 400 grams of Sodium Bicarbonate assuming a 6% acetic acid content, this is all approx, I have not done the maths if anyone is reading.....and boil down WITHOUT touching the solution.  As far as I can remember anyway, touch the solution with anything during the last minutes of boiling down will cause the well loved Hot Ice demonstration.  Also if you get white 'stuff' forming on the sides of the pan this is anhydrous sodium acetate, scrape this off later.

Offline Intanjir

• Mole Snacks: +45/-1
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2014, 12:52:51 AM »
Gather more info.
Check if your sulfuric reacts with your acetic source.

Like you suggested, add excess acetic to a sample of what you think is sodium acetate and see if it bubbles.
If yes then definitely you needed more acetic.

If not, now add the sulfuric and see if it still bubbles.

BTW, Excess acetic may result in the sample containing sodium diacetate, also a white crystalline solid.
The excess acetate should be removable with heat and perhaps it would actually be long gone before the water was all boiled off.

Sponsored Links