April 18, 2024, 03:04:34 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Rotary pump new….  (Read 6867 times)

Offline zsinger

• Mole Snacks: +18/-60
  • Graduate Chemist
Rotary pump new….
« on: April 12, 2014, 11:13:33 PM »
All,
As I disseminated to all a few months ago, my rotary pump gave out.  I am having a few problems fractionally distilling, and would really like this option, as I absolutely refuse to waste water with a water aspirator (Green Chemistry my butt!).  As I already have sufficient access to a rotovap anytime in my lab, this will be the absolute most expensive purchase of my young chemical career.  Vacuum just makes everything easier! (especially with azeotropes using swing distillation-->GREAT new trick I learned)

More to the point:  Any particular thumbs up for one particular pump (links appreciated).  Also, any thumbs down.  I want a 2 stage rotary vane pump.  Not buying used again.

-Zack
"The answer is of zero significance if one cannot distinctly arrive at said place with an explanation"

Offline curiouscat

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +121/-35
Re: Rotary pump new….
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2014, 02:16:44 AM »
Just curious, what's the connection between Green Chem. & a water aspirator?

Offline zsinger

• Graduate Chemist
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2014, 10:45:59 AM »
Water aspirators are usually NOT green, as they frequently use a faucet and need  a source of positive pressure to keep the vacuum.  Therefore, cannot reuse water unless you have some sort of recirculation tank.  Therefore, wasted water.  Therefore, not green.  Most fish tank pumps only suffice for condensing and refluxing….not aspiration for a vacuum.
                 -Zack
"The answer is of zero significance if one cannot distinctly arrive at said place with an explanation"

Offline discodermolide

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +405/-70
    • My research history
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2014, 12:18:15 PM »
There is NO such thing as green chemistry!!!
Development Chemists do it on Scale, Research Chemists just do it!
My Research History

Offline zsinger

• Graduate Chemist
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2014, 01:22:06 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D     Like the "Hydrogen Car"………Well genius Ford engineer……How did you obtain that H2(g.).  Well, I ran a current through water and………oh wait, I had to use electricity to run that current……..I grew the electricity on my money tree in the backyard!!!!!!!! 

Sorry Disco….Couldnt resist! :)  All in good fun.

Offline zsinger

• Graduate Chemist
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2014, 12:17:06 PM »
Additionally,
MUST I buy the chemical resistant ones if I have a scrub bottle between the takeoff and the actual vacuum?  I can literally buy 5 non-chem resistant that are far more powerful for the price of one resistant and weak science pump.  I think I would rather chance it, and save the 5 grand on the chemical resistant ones.
             -Zack

Offline AlphaScent

• Mole Snacks: +24/-7
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2014, 01:37:40 PM »
You can build a water aspirator that recycles the water.  You just have to change it.  No faucet.

Just a thought.
If you're not part of the solution, then you're part of the precipitate

Offline Archer

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +85/-20
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2014, 02:47:46 PM »
Additionally,
MUST I buy the chemical resistant ones if I have a scrub bottle between the takeoff and the actual vacuum?  I can literally buy 5 non-chem resistant that are far more powerful for the price of one resistant and weak science pump.  I think I would rather chance it, and save the 5 grand on the chemical resistant ones.
             -Zack

This depends on what you are scrubbing out and what with.

Our high vacuum had a liquid N2 trap and anyone putting volatile corrosives near the high vac were banned from using it for a day or two because they ruin it very quickly.

What corrosives are you working with and what are you using as a scrubber?
“ I love him. He's hops. He's barley. He's protein. He's a meal. ”

Denis Leary.

Offline zsinger

• Graduate Chemist
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2014, 05:34:57 PM »
Scrubber will be a regular erlenmeyer with slightly alkaline NaOH solution, and really only gaseous acids, in my case, need to be neutralized.
               -Z

Offline Archer

• Chemist
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2014, 07:37:00 PM »
You're going to pull water into the pump every time you use it. Will emulsify with the oil and shorten it's life dramatically.

Put it this way, if you put a drop of water in your car engine oil every day it will ruin it, same applies to a rotary pump.

It's your pump but a scrubber is bad news if you don't have a cold trap.

Denis Leary.

Offline zsinger

• Graduate Chemist
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2014, 08:53:54 PM »
Just don't think I can spend 5k for a chemical resistant one………What exactly do you mean by a "cold" trap?  As in the scrub solution is ice cold?
            -Z

Offline Archer

• Chemist
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2014, 09:21:11 PM »
What are you distilling that prohibits removal of corrosive material first anyway?

How much acid (approx) is present in the crude material?

There are cheaper, better alternatives to your proposed set up depending on the application.

Denis Leary.

Offline zsinger

• Graduate Chemist
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2014, 11:17:13 PM »
I think changing the oil every third or fourth distillation would probably solve the oil mess?
                 -Z

Offline Adamcp898

• Mole Snacks: +2/-0
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2014, 07:19:39 AM »
I think changing the oil every third or fourth distillation would probably solve the oil mess?
                 -Z

Your solvent reaching the pump at all is the problem, hence why there's a market for chemical resistant ones, that and you'd go through a tonne of oil not to mention hassle. Organic solvents eat through parts very quickly.

What archer is suggesting is having a cold finger connected along the vacuum line before the pump. The cold finger then is kept immersed in liquid N2 meaning any solvent vapour gets condensed before it gets pulled into the pump.

Offline curiouscat

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +121/-35
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2014, 07:46:27 AM »

What archer is suggesting is having a cold finger connected along the vacuum line before the pump. The cold finger then is kept immersed in liquid N2 meaning any solvent vapour gets condensed before it gets pulled into the pump.

Do you have regular access to liq. N2?

Sponsored Links