March 29, 2024, 06:55:09 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Rust Acid  (Read 8168 times)

JonathanW

Rust Acid
« on: March 16, 2006, 03:53:40 PM »
What are the practical uses of Rust Acid (Made bu immersing the 2 ends of a DC->AC conerter into a saline solution and attaching a nail to the negatie end[the end that bubbles the most])?

Jonathan

P.S. If needed, what is the best way to dispose of it safely?

Offline xiankai

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +77/-37
Re:Rust Acid
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2006, 08:09:07 PM »
since when was rust an acid? i dont know what u're talking about  :-[

i dont think u can make an acid from electrolysis of metals... not at all!  ???
one learns best by teaching

JonathanW

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2006, 08:40:08 PM »
Go ahead, try it. Some of the most common AC->DC converters are [used] cell phone chargers. Run the negative [Bubbly] end to a nail and wait a few hrs. It's the exact opposite of Iron Oxide[Rust, of course], as I have heard. I don't know the exact chemical comp, but I can only guess it to be something like HFeO2

Jonathan

P.S. I have seen it as a common mistake in the making of thermite.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2006, 08:45:31 PM by JonathanW »

Offline mike

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +121/-35
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2006, 01:13:05 AM »
I don't understand, more information please  ::)
There is no science without fancy, and no art without facts.

JonathanW

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2006, 09:21:19 AM »
Reference:
       Electrolysis with Iron Anode
Cut the output (smaller, round) plug off of a typical AC adapter that provides a DC output. Separate the two wires in the cord and strip each of them, exposing about 2 inches of wire.
Fill the glass jar with warm water. Add the salt and stir until the salt has dissolved. The salt allows the water to conduct electricity.

Place the unwrapped ends of the two wires into the water, not touching each other. Plug in the AC-adapter. There is a risk of shock, even though the AC-adapters generally uses 6-12 volts, they can have high current. One of the two wires will start to bubble more than the other. This is the negative wire (-). What is occurring with the two wires in the salt water is water electrolysis. In this reaction ( 2H20 -> 2H2 + 02) water yields hydrogen gas and oxygen gas. The hydrogen gas forms at the cathode (Water Electrolysis experiment), and because 2 molecules of hydrogen gas are formed for every molecule of oxygen gas, this wire will bubble more. It is a good idea to mark this somehow so as not to forget; if the wires were to be reversed later, the end result would be rust acid instead of rust, which won't be very helpful.

Wrap the positive wire around the large iron nail. Drop the nail into the jar, not touching the submerged negative wire. Attaching the nail to the cathode ( (-) wire ) only results in the oxide formation on the copper wire.

Now, leave this as is for about 10 hours. A good amount of rust should form on the surface of the water, the bottom of the jar, and on the nail. Shake it off the nail and repeat until a generous amount of rust is formed.

When enough rust has gathered, drain the excess water and spread the rust on a metal pan or sheet of aluminium foil in a warm or sunny place to dry. Once it is dry, scrape it off the pan or foil and crush it into a fine powder, and the rust is ready.

-Now this definately has a possibility of being wrong, but I just had to ask.

Jonathan

Sponsored Links