May 06, 2021, 12:06:57 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Analysis of Cr(VI) in soils with UV-Vis  (Read 2119 times)

Offline welfinger

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Analysis of Cr(VI) in soils with UV-Vis
« on: April 16, 2014, 04:00:15 PM »
Hello,

I am trying to use the EPA methods to analyze for Cr(VI) in soil using a UV-Vis.  I have been having issues wtih color interferences even after filtering, increasing my absorbance levels.  I believe it's mostly organic material causing the problem.  I have not seen this in plain sand samples. 
Does anyone know of a way to correct for this problem?  I have tried using a turbidity correction, but it didn't work.

Thanks!

Offline Archer

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +85/-20
Re: Analysis of Cr(VI) in soils with UV-Vis
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2014, 10:02:14 PM »
Hello,

I am trying to use the EPA methods to analyze for Cr(VI) in soil using a UV-Vis.  I have been having issues wtih color interferences even after filtering, increasing my absorbance levels.  I believe it's mostly organic material causing the problem.  I have not seen this in plain sand samples. 
Does anyone know of a way to correct for this problem?  I have tried using a turbidity correction, but it didn't work.

Thanks!

Can you provide an overview of the method, what is the principal behind the assay and what wavelength are you using?

A link to the method would be useful if it's in the public domaine.
“ I love him. He's hops. He's barley. He's protein. He's a meal. ”

Denis Leary.

Offline Yerbol Abzhamiyev

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2014, 10:08:55 AM »
Hello,

Thanks!

Helo!
Telling the true, there could be many reasons why this happened. 70% of analytical mistakes occur during sample preparation. Were Your samples prepared in proper way? How did You do sample digestion?
Things are tough all over, cupcake. It rains on the just and unjust alike (с) Silk Spectre/ Watchmen

Offline Archer

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +85/-20
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2014, 01:30:05 PM »

Helo!
Telling the true, there could be many reasons why this happened. 70% of analytical mistakes occur during sample preparation. Were Your samples prepared in proper way? How did You do sample digestion?

27% of all quoted statistics are guessed rather than calculated.  :)

“ I love him. He's hops. He's barley. He's protein. He's a meal. ”

Denis Leary.

Sponsored Links