April 19, 2024, 12:15:51 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Analysis of Cr(VI) in soils with UV-Vis  (Read 2631 times)

Offline welfinger

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Analysis of Cr(VI) in soils with UV-Vis
« on: April 16, 2014, 04:00:15 PM »
Hello,

I am trying to use the EPA methods to analyze for Cr(VI) in soil using a UV-Vis.  I have been having issues wtih color interferences even after filtering, increasing my absorbance levels.  I believe it's mostly organic material causing the problem.  I have not seen this in plain sand samples. 
Does anyone know of a way to correct for this problem?  I have tried using a turbidity correction, but it didn't work.

Thanks!

Offline Archer

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +85/-20
Re: Analysis of Cr(VI) in soils with UV-Vis
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2014, 10:02:14 PM »
Hello,

I am trying to use the EPA methods to analyze for Cr(VI) in soil using a UV-Vis.  I have been having issues wtih color interferences even after filtering, increasing my absorbance levels.  I believe it's mostly organic material causing the problem.  I have not seen this in plain sand samples. 
Does anyone know of a way to correct for this problem?  I have tried using a turbidity correction, but it didn't work.

Thanks!

Can you provide an overview of the method, what is the principal behind the assay and what wavelength are you using?

A link to the method would be useful if it's in the public domaine.
“ I love him. He's hops. He's barley. He's protein. He's a meal. ”

Denis Leary.

Offline Yerbol Abzhamiyev

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2014, 10:08:55 AM »
Hello,

Thanks!

Helo!
Telling the true, there could be many reasons why this happened. 70% of analytical mistakes occur during sample preparation. Were Your samples prepared in proper way? How did You do sample digestion?

Offline Archer

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +85/-20
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2014, 01:30:05 PM »

Helo!
Telling the true, there could be many reasons why this happened. 70% of analytical mistakes occur during sample preparation. Were Your samples prepared in proper way? How did You do sample digestion?

27% of all quoted statistics are guessed rather than calculated.  :)

“ I love him. He's hops. He's barley. He's protein. He's a meal. ”

Denis Leary.

Sponsored Links