March 28, 2024, 07:49:47 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Quantum theory  (Read 1554 times)

Offline Dilawar JRSD

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Quantum theory
« on: April 18, 2014, 08:52:56 AM »
Quantum theory deals with the structure of atom as we all know..It is complex ..n..requires a  high level knowledge to understand it..It talks about electrons following standing waves pattern...In a orbital max. allowed number of electrons are 2 ..so does it mean that..2 electrons in a orbital revolves in their own individual standing waves ..they revolve in a pattern so..that they dont collide in any condition..is it possible that electrons havin opposite spins shows different properties...and..as we all know our earth spins on its axis ..but it is tilted by some degree ..so do electrons do tilts on their axes???...
n..we say all atoms are similiar but let different atoms of same element..have electrons in thier outermost orbital with opp. spins ..i know ..ee can find an electrons spin by knowing mag. moment...
quantum theory anwers many questions about the complex sturcture of an atom..but it is not 100%consistent accordin to me..something is missing ..maybe the thing missisg is too small to  observe..or may be it is so general that ..it gets avoided..Im deeply interesed in this field ...I need proper guidance n..resource...
plz hlp me..by letting me know that..whether BSc physics hons or Bsc chemistry hons is good for this field..for me..??!..

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: Quantum theory
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2014, 10:42:53 AM »
..is it possible that electrons havin opposite spins shows different properties...

Yes, this is the underlying concept behind proton NMR

and..as we all know our earth spins on its axis ..but it is tilted by some degree ..

Also true.

so do electrons do tilts on their axes???...

Not as true.  See, when I was an undergraduate, I asked the chemistry prof, "Do electrons actually spin?"  He got a wistful look on his face and quoted Edgar Bergan's character Mortimer Snerd when he said, "A horse is an animal with a head at one end, a tail at the other, and a leg at each corner."  And he said that Mortimer Snerd would say that electrons actually, "spin", and he wouldn't be wrong, but its just not right to make such an incomplete explanation.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Sponsored Links